The Dawgs pick up their 10th win of the season, winning all six singles mat...
University of Washington Team Page
FRESNO, Calif. -- No. 25 Washington improved to 10-6 with a 6-1 win on Sunday afternoon over Hawai'i in a neutral-site matchup. The Dawgs dropped the doubles point, but then came roaring back to win all single matches for a comfortable victory.
The Rainbow Warriors clinched the doubles point at No. 1 when Jonathan Brooklyn and Dmytro Kovalyov beat Kyle McMorrow and Emmett Egger, 8-5. That victory came after the team of Hudson Barnhart and Max Manthou had been shut out by the Hawai'i team at No. 2.
Despite the rough showing in doubles, Washington was undeterred and dominated singles. Marton Bots earned the first win to even the score at 1-1 when he beat Jared Spiker, 6-1, 6-3. McMorrow then put the Dawgs up for good with an easy victory at No. 1 over Brooklyn, 6-2, 6-0.
Egger earned UW's third point when he beat Chas Okamoto, 6-3, 6-2. Viktor Farkas then clinched the match for the Huskies when he defeated Nils Schuhmann of Hawai'i, 6-3, 6-3.
Rounding out the rest of the day was Nicholas Kamisar earning a win at No. 6, 6-3, 6-2, followed by Manthou who was the only Husky not to win in straight sets. Manthou defeated Kovalyov, 7-5, 4-6, 10-6, while Kamisar's win was over Davis Schuster, the son of former Husky Keith Schuster.
Washington will be right back out on the same courts on Monday morning at 10:30 a.m. when they take on the host Fresno State. The Bulldogs are coming off a 4-3 win over the same Hawai'i team on Saturday.
Washington Men's Tennis
March 10, 2013 - Fresno, Calif.
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
No. 25 Washington 6, Hawai'i 1
1. Brooklyn/Kovalyov def. Egger/McMorrow, 8-5.
2. Schuhmann/Lam def. Barnhart/Manthou, 8-0.
3. Spiker/Schuster def. Bots/Hawke, 9-8 (8-6).
Order of finish: 2,1,3.
1. No. 19 Kyle McMorrow def. Jonathan Brooklyn, 6-2, 6-0.
2. No. 116 Marton Bots def. Jared Spiker, 6-1, 6-3.
3. Max Manthou def. Dmytro Kovalyov, 7-5, 4-6, 10-6.
4. Emmett Egger def. Chas Okamoto, 6-3, 6-2.
5. Viktor Farkas def. Nils Schuhmann, 6-3, 6-3.
6. Nicholas Kamisar def. David Schuster, 6-3, 6-2.
Order of finish: 2,1,4,5,6,3.