Boise State University Team Page
STANFORD, Calif. - The Boise State men's tennis team picked up three singles wins at No. 49 Stanford, Sunday, but fell just short of knocking off the Cardinal, 4-3.
In singles play, No. 30 Andy Bettles won the battle of ranked singles players on court one, defeating No. 45 John Morrissey in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6. The win was the 10th this spring for Bettles who is now 10-4 and riding a four-match win streak.
Thomas Tenreiro gave the Broncos (6-8, 1-1 MW) their first point of the match with a quick win at the fifth spot. He defeated Daniel Ho 6-3, 6-2 and is now 8-3 this season, including a 5-0 record when playing at No. 5.
Filipp Pogostkin rallied for a three-set win at the No. 3 position against Robert Stineman. After going down in the first set 6-4, Pogostkin responded with a 6-2 win in the second and pulled out a tiebreak win in the third set to clinch the match.
The ever-crucial doubles point was decided by the narrowest of margins. Stanford's team of Paige/Strobel defeated Mitchell/Pogostkin 8-3 but the Broncos' top team of Bettles/Sereke evened things out with a 9-7 win. Court two held the point-clinching match which featured a contest that had to be decided in tiebreakers as Romanowicz/Stineman defeated Patton/Sears to earn the point for Stanford.
Boise State will head to the Blue Gray Intercollegiate next week in Montgomery, Ala., March 15-17. The draw for the tournament has yet to be announced.
No. 49 Stanford 4, Boise State 3
1) Bettles/Sereke (BSU) d. Lin/Morrissey (STAN) 9-7
2) Romanowicz/Stineman (STAN) d. Patton/Sears (BSU) 9-8 (6)
3) Paige/Strobel (STAN) d. Mitchell/Pogostkin (BSU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 30 Andrew Bettles (BSU) d. No. 45 John Morrissey (STAN) 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2) No. 91 Nolan Paige (STAN) d. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-4, 6-1
3) Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) d. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
4) Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) d. Robert Stineman (STAN) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (0)
5) Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) d. Daniel Ho (STAN) 6-3, 6-2
6) Trey Strobel (STAN) d. Garrett Patton (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 1, 3, 4