Univ. of Texas at Austin Team Page
AUSTIN, Texas - No. 14 Texas men's tennis lost to top-ranked Virginia on Friday evening at Penick-Allison Tennis Center, 5-2.
Freshman Nick Naumann and junior Sudanwa Sitaram picked up singles wins against nationally-ranked opponents after the match had been clinched by the Cavaliers. Both Sitaram and Naumann came back from first-set losses to win in the second and third sets and put Texas on the board.
Sitaram defeated No. 12 Mac Styslinger (4-6, 6-4, 6-4) in No. 4 singles for his highest-ranked win as a Longhorn and first since sweeping No. 87 Jordan Szabo (Texas A&M) in the fall.
"That is definitely Sudanwa's best win," Head Coach Michael Center said. "He has come close a few times but to beat a player of that caliber was special and should give him a lot of confidence. He has been playing better and better. Hopefully that should give him confidence that the hard work is paying off and he will make a good run down the stretch here for us."
Naumman edged 70th-ranked Harrison Richmond (5-7, 6-4, 7-5) in No. 5 singles to notch his fifth singles win against a top-150 player this season.
Sophomore Lloyd Glasspool won the first set against the top-ranked singles player in the nation, Alex Domijan, but lost in three sets (5-7, 6-3, 6-2). Glasspool is now 10-3 in dual match singles this season.
Reigning national champion Virginia (10-0) clinched the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions and won the first three singles matches to clinch the overall match, 4-0.
The Cavaliers now lead the all-time series with Texas, 9-2. The programs have played every season since the series began in 2004.
The Longhorns (10-5) conclude a six-match home stand on March 23 with a doubleheader against Abilene Christian and Rice. Both matches will be televised live on Longhorn Network.
1. #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) def. #43 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) - 6-3, 6-1
2. #1 Alex Domijan (UVA) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) - 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
3. #81 Mitchell Frank (UVA) def. #82 Daniel Whitehead (UT) - 6-3, 6-1
4. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. #12 Mac Styslinger (UVA) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Nick Naumann (UT) def. #70 Harrison Richmond (UVA) - 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
6. Justin Shane (UVA) def. David Holiner (UT) - 6-0, 7-6(4)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6*, 2, 4, 5
1. #2 Jarmere Jenkins / Mac Styslinger (UVA) vs. #19 Chris Camillone / David Holiner (UT) - 5-3 (susp.)
2. #46 Alex Domijan / Mitchell Frank (UVA) def. Ben Chen / Daniel Whitehead (UT) - 8-2
3. #27 Justin Shane / Julen Uriguen (UVA) def. Soren Hess-Olesen / Nick Naumann (UT) - 8-3
Order finish: 2, 3*