Vanderbilt University Team Page
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – No. 19 Vanderbilt ran into a hungry 14th-ranked Texas A&M squad Friday night, as the Commodores saw their six-match win streak come to an end, 5-2, at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.
Vanderbilt (11-4, 2-1) did own the longest win streak in the SEC at six-straight, but Texas A&M (10-5, 2-1) proved why they are a top-20 team in the country as well.
Texas A&M had Vanderbilt on its heels right from the get-go, as the Aggies won the doubles point convincingly at the Nos. 1 and 2 positions. The 15th-ranked duo of Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow defeated Ryan Lipman and Marc van der Merwe, 8-3 in the No. 1 position. At No. 2, Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant took down Gonzales Austin and Suresh Eswaran, 8-2.
In singles, Texas A&M proceeded to win four of the six matches. In the No. 2 spot, Jeremy Efferding defeated Austin, 6-3, 6-3. At No. 3, Adams defeated Jeff Offerdahl in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Vinsant won on court No. 4 over van der Merwe, 6-4, 7-5. The fourth and final win came in the No. 6 position where Behzad Minavi defeated Anton Kovrigin, 6-2, 6-3.
The Commodores’ two points came from the two players who own double-digit win streaks.
Lipman won his 11th-straight match to improve his dual record to 13-1 and this season. The redshirt junior defeated Ore in three sets, 2-6, 7-5, 10-6. It is only the second time during dual action that Lipman has needed three sets to record a victory.
Kris Yee won his team-high 13th-consecutive match after defeating Jordan Szabo in a tough battle at No. 5, 7-5, 7-6(4). Yee is sporting a 14-1 record during dual play and is 19-4 overall.
Vanderbilt hits the road to the Magnolia State, as the Commodores take on Mississippi State Friday, March 15 at 2 p.m. CT and Ole Miss Sunday, March 17 at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No.25 Ryan Lipman (Vanderbilt) def. Junior Ore (A&M) 2-6, 7-5, 10-6
2. Jeremy Efferding (A&M) def. No. 41 Gonzales Austin (Vandy) 6-3, 6-3
3. Harrison Adams (A&M) def. Jeff Offerdahl (Vanderbilt) 6-3, 6-2
4. No. 90 Shane Vinsant (A&M) def. Marc van der Merwe (Vandy) 6-4, 7-5
5. Kris Yee (Vanderbilt) def. Jordan Szabo (A&M) 7-5, 7-6(4)
6. Behzad Minavi (A&M) def. Anton Kovrigin (Vanderbilt) 6-2, 6-3
1. No. 15 Withrow/Ore (A&M) def. Lipman/van der Merwe (Vanderbilt) 8-3
2. No. 21 Adams/Vinsant (A&M) def. Austin/Eswaran (Vanderbilt) 8-2
3. Efferding/Szabo (A&M) vs. Offerdahl/Johnson (Vanderbilt) 7-2, unfinished
Order of Finish