University of Virginia Team Page
URBANA, Ill. - The top-ranked Virginia men's tennis team concluded the non-conference portion of its schedule Sunday with a 7-0 win over No. 15 Illinois at the Atkins Tennis Center, site of the 2013 NCAA Championships this May. The Cavaliers (11-0) recorded their eighth win this season against teams currently ranked in the top 20, while the Fighting Illini fall to 7-5 on the year.
Virginia opened the match by winning the doubles point for the sixth straight match. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) cruised to an 8-1 win at No. 3 over Farris Gosea and Stephen Hoh. Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) followed with an 8-3 win at No. 2 over Jared Hiltzik and Alex Jesse to clinch the opening point for the Cavaliers. The Illini took the match at No. 1 doubles where Tim Kopinski and Ross Guignon topped Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) 8-4.
In singles, the Cavaliers got off to a strong start, winning all six first sets. Domijan was the first off the courts, completing a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 2 over Kopinski to make the score 2-0. Jenkins added a 7-5, 6-1 win over Hiltzik at No. 1 and Styslinger followed with a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 4 over Bruno Abdelnour to seal the win.
The Cavaliers added two more straight-set wins to extend the lead to 6-0. Frank topped Guignon 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3 and Shane downed Alex Jesse 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5. In the only match that went three sets, Uriguen topped Brian Page 6-4, 6-7, 6-1 at No. 6 singles to complete the sweep.
Virginia returns home next weekend to open ACC play. The Cavaliers host No. 8 Duke on Friday at 3 p.m. and No. 57 North Carolina at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Both matches are scheduled for the Snyder Tennis Center and admission is free.
#1 VIRGINIA 7, #15 ILLINOIS 0
1. #36 Guignon/Kopinski (Ill) def. #2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) 8-4
2. #46 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. Hiltzik/Jesse (Ill) 8-3
3. #27 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Gosea/Hoh (Ill) 8-1
1. #5 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #40 Jared Hiltzik (Ill) 7-5, 6-1
2. #1 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Tim Kopinski (Ill) 6-3, 6-4
3. #81 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. #108 Ross Guignon (Ill) 6-4, 6-3
4. #12 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Bruno Abdelnour (Ill) 6-4, 6-1
5. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Alex Jesse (Ill) 6-4, 6-4
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Brian Page (Ill) 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
Order of Finish