Vanderbilt University Team Page
NASHVILLE – No. 13 Vanderbilt took care of business Friday evening against Mississippi State en route to a 6-1 win at the Currey Tennis Center.
With the win, the Commodores ran their record to 11-5 overall and 4-1 in SEC action, while Mississippi State dropped to 6-7 overall and 0-5 to begin the SEC season.
In the series with Mississippi State, Vanderbilt has now won 27-straight and owns a 30-7 record all-time against the Bulldogs.
Vanderbilt pounded Mississippi State right out of the gates by winning the doubles point. Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira defeated Georgiana Patrasc and Petra Ferancova, 8-1, at the No. 2 position. Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn completed the shutout of Sarai Flores and Roseline Dion at No. 3, 8-0.
Altick and Sellyn then continued their winning ways in singles action. Altick recorded her second shutout of the SEC season with her win over Flores at No. 6, 6-0, 6-0. The Monroe, La., native has now won eight matches in a row to run her dual record to 12-2 and a perfect 5-0 in the SEC.
Sellyn’s win at the No. 4 position over Lien Van Geel (6-1, 6-0) continued her perfect start in the SEC at 5-0, as well. The freshman is 10-3 in dual play and 9-0 when playing at No. 4.
Ashleigh Antal clinched the win for Vanderbilt after defeating Dion, 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 5 spot. Antal is tied for the team lead with 12 dual wins and five wins in the SEC.
Three Commodores have yet to lose through the first five matches in SEC competition.
To wrap up the evening of play, Colton and Marie Casares each registered wins. Colton played in the longest match of the day at the No. 3 spot before grinding out a straight-sets win over Naomi Tran, 6-3, 7-6(3). Casares defeated Alexandra Perper, 7-6(4), 3-6, 10-5, in the lone three-set match of the day.
Mississippi State’s lone point came from the No. 1 singles position, where Patrasc knocked off Mira, 7-5, 6-3.
The Commodores welcome Ole Miss to the Currey Tennis Center on Sunday at 1 p.m. to wrap up the weekend. Vanderbilt begins its five-match road trip with stops at No. 12 Georgia Friday, March 22 at 3 p.m. and No. 44 Tennessee Sunday at 9 a.m.
1. Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. No. 46 Lauren Mira (Vandy) 7-5, 6-3
2. Marie Casares (Vandy) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU) 7-6(4), 3-6, 10-5
3. Courtney Colton (Vandy) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 6-3, 7-6(3)
4. No. 74 Georgina Sellyn (Vandy) def. Lien Van Geel (MSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ashleigh Antal (Vandy) def. Roseline Dion (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Frances Altick (Vandy) def. Sarai Flores (MSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Antal/Casares (Vandy) vs. No. 46 Perper/Tran (MSU) 5-4, unfinished
2. No. 29 Colton/Mira (Vandy) def. Patrasc/Ferancova (MSU) 8-1
3. Altick/Sellyn (Vandy) def. Flores/Dion (MSU) 8-0
Order of Finish