Clemson University Team Page
CLEMSON, SC - The 14th-ranked Clemson women's tennis team cruised to a 6-1 win over Furman (4-6) on Wednesday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center. Clemson (6-5) improved to 43-3 overall and 25-1 at home all-time against the Paladins.
The Tigers claimed the doubles points for the second straight match, with Ani Miao and Beatrice Gumulya teaming up for an 8-1 win on court three to finish first. The clincher came from Yana Koroleva and Romy Koelzer, who won, 8-2, over Amanda Murray and Michelle Stanford on court two. Liz Jeukeng and Tristen Dewar also earned a win on court one, taking an 8-3 win over Lauren Kline and Alex Moreno.
In singles, No. 34 Jeukeng bounced back from her loss against Baylor to take down Katherine Oudin, 6-0, 6-2 on court two in improving to 9-3 on the season and 7-3 in dual match play.
Gumulya, now 26-3 in her last 29 matches, then gave Clemson the 3-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Moreno. She is a team-best 15-3 this season, and is 8-2 on court three in dual match play.
Koroleva and Dewar finished within seconds of one another on courts one and five, respectively. Koroleva, ranked 19th nationally, used a late break in the first set, and used a penetrating forehand in the second set to take the 6-4, 6-1 win over Lauren Kline. Koroleva, a two-time ACC Player of the Week, is now 13-6 this season.
Dewar won her second straight match, topping Amanda Murray, 6-2, 6-0, to improve to 6-5 in duals and 11-9 overall. Romy Koelzer improved to 13-9 with a 6-2, 6-4 win on court five.
Carola Pederzani, playing in her first career dual match, won her first set over Kelly Sullivan, 6-4, before Sullivan struck back with a 6-4 win in the second set. With the match result no longer in doubt, they played a super tiebreak, which Sullivan won, 10-7.
Clemson will now take spring break next week. They'll travel to Orlando, FL, to train and will play Georgia State next Tuesday. Following that, they'll have 11 days off from matches, returning home with a Mar. 30 and 31 showdown with conference foes, Maryland and Boston College, respectively.
Clemson (6-5) def. Furman (4-6), 6-1
March 13, 2013 - Hoke Sloan Tennis Center - Clemson, SC
1. #19 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. Lauren Kline (FUR) 6-4, 6-1
2. #34 Liz Jeukeng (CU) def. Katherine Oudin (FUR) 6-0, 6-2
3. #45 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) 6-0, 6-1
4. Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Michele Stanford (FUR) 6-2, 6-4
5. Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Amanda Murray (FUR) 6-2, 6-0
6. Kelly Sullivan (FUR) def. Carola Pederzani (CU), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: 2,3,5*,1,4,6
1. Liz Jeukeng/Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Lauren Kline/Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) 8-3
2. Yana Koroleva/Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Amanda Murray/Michele Stanford (FUR) 8-2
3. Ani Miao/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Margaret Boyette/Kelly Sullivan (FUR) 8-1
Order of finish: 3,2*,1