No. 10 OU defeats No. 55 Arizona, 6-1, in Tucson, Ariz.
Univ. of Oklahoma Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 10 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team defeated No. 55 Arizona, 6-1, Wednesday, March 20 in Tucson, Ariz.
"We played a very complete match today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "Our doubles was really solid and our singles was really good at positions one through four."
The Sooners (11-4) swept doubles against the Wildcats (10-4). Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas won the first match of the day, 8-1. Costin Paval and Dane Webb claimed the first team point for OU, beating their opponents at the No. 1 position, 8-5.
Webb and Paval extended the lead for the Sooners with wins on courts one and four in singles.
Alcorta sealed the win for OU, defeating Frederik Ask 6-2, 6-4. This was followed by a win from Alvarez Llamas over Kieren Thompson, 6-1, 6-4, in his first time playing at the No. 3 position.
The Sooners' only loss was at the No. 6 position, where Arizona's Mario Urquidi defeated Lawrence Formentera, 6-2, 7-6 (4). Leonard Stakhovsky wrapped the match for OU with a win over Sumeet Shinade.
"At positions five and six we did a good job competing," Roddick said. "We pulled out a tough one at the No. 5 position."
The Sooners next travel to Malibu, Calif., to face No. 11 Pepperdine Saturday, March 23 at 2 p.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis program.
Oklahoma 6, Arizona 1
1. No. 44 Paval/Webb (OU) def. Ask/Shinde (UA), 8-5
2. No. 56 Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Urquidi/Miccini (UA), 8-1
3. Formentera/Siributwong (OU) vs. Takeda/Thompson (UA), 7-5 (dnf)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. No. 17 Costin Paval (OU) def. Giacomo Miccini (UA), 6-1, 6-4
2. No. 44 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Fredrik Ask (UA), 6-2, 6-4
3. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Kieren Thompson (UA) 6-1, 6-4
4. No. 92 Dane Webb (OU) vs. Andre Vidaller (UA) 6-0, 2-0 (retired)
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Sumeet Shinde (UA), 4-6, 6-3 (12-10)
6. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2*, 3, 6, 5