Northwestern University Team Page
ATLANTA -- No. 11 Northwestern jumped out to an early lead, but couldn't hold on as host and 33rd-ranked Georgia Tech rallied for a 4-3 victory Wednesday afternoon at Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Wildcats jumped out in front by taking the doubles point. The Yellow Jackets posted a win at the No. 3 spot, but Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett posted an 8-4 win at No. 2 before the ninth-ranked duo of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton outlasted Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey 8-6 at No. 1 to clinch the point for Northwestern.
In singles action, Georgia Tech evened the match at 1-1 when Woodard upset reigning Big Ten Player of the Week and 96th-ranked Veronica Corning at the No. 2 spot. The 'Cats reclaimed the lead when Hamilton finished off Jasmine Minor in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 6.
The advantage grew to 3-1 when Kate Turvy won a battle of ranked players as the 63rd-ranked Wildcat defeated No. 89 Elizabeth Kilborn 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 1 position.
However, Northwestern was unable to finish off the Yellow Jackets as the hosts got wins at Nos. 3 and 5 before Megan Kurey won a three-set battle with Linda Abu Mushrefova, giving Georgia Tech the comeback win.
Northwestern returns to action at 11 a.m. Saturday as it hosts Minnesota at Combe Tennis Center.
#33 Georgia Tech 4, #11 Northwestern 3
1. #63 Kate Turvy (NU) def. #89 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. #96 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Alicia Barnett (NU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,6,1,3,5,4*
1. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova / Nida Hamilton (NU) def. #67 Kendal Woodard / Megan Kurey (GT) 8-6
2. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Jasmine Minor / Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 8-4
3. Elizabeth Kilborn / Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Kate Turvy / Belinda Niu (NU) 8-4
Order of finish: 3,2,1*