Senior Antonia Foehse clinches the Crimson Tide's win.
University of Alabama Team Page
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The women’s tennis team earned a 6-1 win on Friday against Kentucky at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves to 15-2 on the season and 7-1 in the Southeastern Conference, while the loss drops the Wildcats to 12-8 overall and 3-6 against league opponents.
Alabama earned the first point of the match after taking doubles wins on courts one and two. Kentucky’s Edmee Morin and CeCe Witten were forced to retire with the Tide’s Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen leading 3-0. Sixth-ranked Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane would close out doubles with a dominant 8-1 victory on court one over Caitlin McGraw and Nadia Ravita.
In singles, Alabama won four consecutive matches before Kentucky was able to get on the board to take the overall win. Delivering the match-clincher for the Tide was Foehse, who posted a 6-2, 6-2 win on court four. The Wildcats lone win came on court one before Emily Zabor awarded Alabama the final point of the night with a win on court five.
Next up, the Tide hosts No. 19 Vanderbilt on Sunday at 3 p.m. CT.
1. No. 6 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. McGraw/Ravita (UK) 8-1
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Morin/Witten (UK) 3-0, ret.
3. Zabor/Maynetto (UA) vs. Blajkevitch/Fox (UK) 3-2, unf.
Order of Finish: 2,1
1. Nadia Ravita (UK) def. No. 26 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 6-4, 7-5
2. No. 56 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-2, 6-1
3. No. 84 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Khristina Blajkevithc (UK) 6-1, 6-2
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-2, 6-2
5. Emily Zabor (UA) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 7-5, 6-2
6. No. 113 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. CeCe Witten (UK) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,3,4*,6,1,5