UCLA Team Page
LOS ANGELES - The second-ranked UCLA men's tennis team posted its fourth shutout of the season on Saturday afternoon, dispatching of Arizona, 7-0 in a Pac-12 match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
UCLA (18-1; 4-0 Pac-12) had three straight-set singles winners on the day led by Alex Brigham at court No. 6, who dropped just three games in a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Matt Dunn. Clay Thompson and Dennis Mkrtchian were next to follow with straight-set wins of their own, both winning by 6-2, 6-2 scores. Thompson downed Sumeet Shinde at court No. 3, while Mkrtchian beat Fredrik Ask at court No. 2.
Arizona (10-10; 0-4 Pac-12) put up a fight at the remaining three courts, however the Bruins were still able to come away with wins, as Marcos Giron, Karue Sell and Maxime Tabatruong were all victorious in match tiebreakers in place of a third set.
UCLA swept doubles play, posting wins at all three courts.
The Bruins are at home again next week, hosting Washington and Oregon at the LATC on Friday and Saturday.
#2 UCLA 7, #71 Arizona 0
Apr 06, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #60 Giron/Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Ask/Shinde (ARIZ) 8-1
2. Sell/Thompson (UCLA) def. Dunn/Urquidi (ARIZ) 8-4
3. Brigham/Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Takeda/Thompson (ARIZ) 8-2
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #14 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Kieren Thompson (ARIZ) 7-5, 5-7, (10-6)
2. #57 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Fredrik Ask (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-2
3. #114 Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-2
4. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) 6-3, 4-6, (10-2)
5. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) 6-2, 2-6, (10-4)
6. Alex Brigham (UCLA) def. Matt Dunn (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-1
Arizona 10-10; 0-4 Pac-12; National ranking #71
UCLA 18-1; 4-0 Pac-12; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,2,4,5,1)