Univ. of Southern California Team Page
TEMPE, ARIZ. -- The No. 5 USC women's tennis team forged a clearer path toward a perfect Pac-12 season in taking out the only other undefeated conference team with today's 7-0 sweep of host No. 22 Arizona State. With their 10th straight victory -- this one clinched by senior Danielle Lao -- the Women of Troy improve to 18-2 overall and 7-0 in conference play.
The tone was set in today's sweep with the No. 3 doubles pairing of Olmos/Yates, who cruised through Panoho/Smith with an 8-1 win. On court two, USC's #36 DeSimone/Scandalis pinned up the doubles point by pulling off an 8-6 win over ASU's #62 Krawczyk/Sahagun, and USC was off to the races.
Freshman Ellie Yates and sophomore Giuliana Olmos would continue on their path of productivity in singles. Yates rolled up a smooth 6-3, 6-0 win over Ebony Panoho for a 2-0 USC advantage, and Olmos drained a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Joanna Smith to pump the Trojans up to a 3-0 lead. The nail in the match was pounded by USC senior Danielle Lao. The #7 Lao tacked up a near-perfect 6-0, 6-1 win over #106 Deisrae Krawczyk to secure that 10th consecutive win for the Trojans and put them in closer reach of a Pac-12 title.
Three more matches were underway in the singles realm and those, too, were dominated by the Women of Troy. #2 Sabrina Santamaria secured her 18th straight singles win on a 6-3, 6-3 takedown of #23 Jacqueline Cako, and her fellow sophomores Zoë Scandalis and Gabriella DeSimone followed suit with straight-set wins. #27 Scandalis beat Leighann Sahagun 6-2, 6-1 from court three, and #70 DeSimone captured a 6-2, 6-1 win over Hannah James to put the finishing touches on the 7-0 sweep for the Trojans.
USC now heads to Tucson to take on No. 74 Arizona in a 12 p.m. match on Saturday (April 6).
#5 USC 7, #22 Arizona State 0
April 5, 2013 - Tempe, Ariz.
(1) Lao/Santamaria (USC) vs. #40 Cako/Smith (ASU) - 6-5 susp.
(2) #36 DeSimone/Scandalis def. #62 Krawczyk/Sahagun (ASU) - 8-6
(3) Olmos/Yates (USC) def. Panoho/Smith (ASU) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #2 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) def. #23 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3
(2) #7 Danielle Lao (USC) def. #106 Deisrae Krawczyk (ASU) - 6-0, 6-1*
(3) #27 Zoë Scandalis (USC) def. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) #70 Gabriella DeSimone (USC) def. Hannah James (ASU) - 6-2, 6-1
(5) #116 Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Joanna Smith (ASU) - 6-1, 6-3
(6) Ellie Yates (USC) def. Ebony Panoho (ASU) - 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 2*, 1, 3, 4