Univ. of Oklahoma Team Page
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 11 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team swept Big 12 newcomers No. 33 TCU Sunday, April 7, at the Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
"We played a very complete match today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "We were really good at every spot and that is what we have been building toward. I am very proud of the effort and focus."
The match was played indoors due to high winds. It was the first indoor match OU played since the the team beat Tulsa, 5-1, on Friday, Feb. 8.
The Sooners (15-5, 2-0 Big 12) began the match against the Horned Frogs (16-6, 1-1 Big 12) by sweeping doubles.
Costin Paval and Dane Webb grabbed the first win of the day after they beat Nick Chappell and Will Stein 8-4. After that, Lawrence Formentera and Nick Papac finalized the doubles point when they topped Arnau Dachs and Orlando Superlano 8-4.
Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas added an 8-4 win on Court 2.
In singles, freshmen Alvarez Llamas and Leonard Stakhovsky extended the Sooners' lead to 3-0.
Nick Papac claimed the win for OU. He defeated JT Sundling, 6-3, 6-3, at the No. 5 position.
Guillermo Alcorta, Webb and Papac finished the day for the Sooners, each winning tie breakers in one or more sets.
The team has now swept six matches on the season, including three of the last four matches.
The Sooners return to the road next weekend for two Big 12 matches. They travel to Waco, Texas, to face No. 15 Baylor Friday, April 12, at 6 p.m. They then head west to Lubbock, Texas, for a match against No. 38 Texas Tech Sunday, April 14, at 1 p.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis team.
Oklahoma 7, TCU 0
1. Webb/Paval (OU) def. Chappell/Stein (TCU), 8-4
2. Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Stevens/Sundling (TCU), 8-4
3. Formentera/Papac (OU) def. Dachs/Superlano (TCU), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Costin Paval (OU) def. Nick Chappell (TCU), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (9-7)
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Arnau Dachs (TCU), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. Orlando Superlano (TCU), 4-6, 6-4, (10-6)
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Nick Papac (OU) def. JT Sundling (TCU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU) def. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5*, 2, 3, 1