Univ. of Texas at Austin Team Page
No. 23 Texas at TCU
Saturday, April 13, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas - Bartzen Varsity Courts
• For UT fans attending: The team will be offering free food served on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. CT outside the Bartzen Varsity Courts in Fort Worth for Texas fans in attendance.
• Series vs. TCU: Texas leads, 60-17-1. Texas has won the last six meetings dating back to 1996, when the schools both competed in the Southwest Conference. Saturday will mark the first time that Texas and TCU meet as Big 12 members and the third time during head coach Michael Center's 13 seasons at Texas.
• Rankings: The Longhorns are No. 23 in the latest ITA Rankings, released on Tuesday. Texas has three ranked singles players (No. 41 Søren Hess-Olesen, No. 99 Daniel Whitehead and No. 96 Sudanwa Sitaram) and two ranked doubles teams (No. 25 Chris Camillone / David Holiner and No. 78 Sudanwa Sitaram / Daniel Whitehead). TCU checks in at No. 35 in the ITA Rankings.
• Coaching connections: Michael Center spent two years as TCU's head coach in 1999 and 2000 before arriving in Austin. Both years he took the Horned Frogs to the NCAA Tournament. TCU head coach David Roditi played tennis at TCU with Texas associate head coach Ricardo Rubio before coaching for two years as Center's assistant at Texas (2000-02).
• Last time out: UT enters the weekend with a 13-6 record and 1-1 mark in Big 12 play. Texas split the first two games of the Big 12 Conference season last weekend, defeating Oklahoma State, 7-0, on April 7 and falling to No. 11 Oklahoma, 5-2, on April 5.
• Top opposition: Five of Texas' six losses this season have come against top-11 opponents -- No. 9 Kentucky, No. 2 Southern California, No. 7 Pepperdine, No. 1 Virginia and No. 11 Oklahoma.
• Naumann surging: Freshman Nick Naumann boasts a 20-7 singles record, including a 12-3 mark during dual match play. Naumann has won five consecutive singles matches entering the weekend. On March 15, he defeated No. 72 Harrison Richmond of top-ranked Virginia in three sets.
• Sophomore Søren Hess-Olesen is UT's highest ranked singles player, entering Big 12 play 58th in the nation with a 13-9 overall record and 7-8 record in dual match play. 10 of his 22 total matches have been against ranked opponents.
• Doubles combinations: Texas has used 28 different doubles combinations this season and 19 during the dual match season. It is the most doubles lineups coach Center has used during his 13 years at Texas.
• Texas' 25th-ranked doubles team of Chris Camillone and David Holiner are coming off three consecutive wins in the No. 1 position. Two of their last three matches did not finish before the doubles point was clinched. Camillone and Holiner hold a 13-6 overall record and 4-2 record during the dual season. The pair's last doubles match was on March 15 against Virginia.
• Next up: Texas hosts Baylor on Wednesday, April 17 in Austin. It will be the last of eight matches televised on Longhorn Network.
• Michael Center is in his 13th season at Texas (257-93 record) and 22nd season overall as a tennis head coach (416-161 record). His 250th win at Texas came against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Feb. 21.
• Texas has made 21 consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament, including three Final Four appearances in 2006, 2008 and 2009.
• The Edgar O. and Melanie A. Weller Tennis Center at Dave Snyder / Graham Whaling Courts was dedicated on Feb. 27. The $8.8 million facilitiy, located at the UT Golf Club, features six indoor courts and four outdoor courts. Texas played its first match in the center against Michigan on March 9, winning 4-3.