UCLA Team Page
LOS ANGELES - The No. 2 UCLA men's tennis team notched its second-straight shutout on Friday afternoon, blanking visiting Washington, 7-0 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who beat Arizona by the same score a week ago, improve to 19-1 on the season and 5-0 in Pac-12 play.
UCLA dominated the back courts in Friday's match, with all three players winning in straight sets. Freshman Karue Sell turned in the most impressive performance of the day, losing just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Jeff Hawke at court No. 6. Sophomore Dennis Mkrtchian was next off, as he dispatched of Emmett Egger, 6-1, 7-6(2) at court No. 4. That left junior Clay Thompson to clinch the win for UCLA at the No. 5 spot, where he beat Viktor Farkas, 6-4, 6-4 to give the Bruins a 4-0 lead.
Washington (15-9; 2-3 Pac-12) pushed UCLA at the top three courts, however the Bruins were able to come out on top in the end. Playing at the No. 1 position, 32nd-ranked Dennis Novikov dropped the first set 6-4 No. 17 Kyle McMorrow before storming back to take a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory.
With the outcome already decided, the final two matches were extended to match tiebreakers in place of a third set. Both matches finished within seconds of each other, with 18th-ranked Marcos Giron downing Marton Bots, 6-2, 6-7(5), (10-2) at court No. 2, and 20th-ranked Adrien Puget beating Max Manthou, 5-7, 6-4, (12-10) at court No. 3. Puget fought off a match point with Manthou serving up 10-9 in the deciding tiebreaker.
UCLA began Friday's match by claiming the doubles point for the fifth time in the last six matches.
The Bruins host Oregon at the LATC on Saturday beginning at 11:30 a.m.
#2 UCLA 7, #31 Washington 0
Apr 12, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #38 Giron/Novikov (UCLA) def. Bots/McMorrow (WASH) 8-5
2. Egger/Hawke (WASH) def. #50 Puget/Sell (UCLA) 9-8(6)
3. Mkrtchian/Thompson (UCLA) def. Farkas/Manthou (WASH) 9-7
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #32 Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. #17 Kyle McMorrow (WASH) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. #18 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Marton Bots (WASH) 6-2, 6-7(5), (10-2)
3. #20 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Max Manthou (WASH) 5-7, 6-4, (12-10)
4. #70 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Emmett Egger (WASH) 6-1, 7-6(2)
5. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Viktor Farkas (WASH) 6-4, 6-4
6. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Jeff Hawke (WASH) 6-1, 6-0
Washington 15-9; 2-3 Pac-12; National ranking #31
UCLA 19-1; 5-0 Pac-12; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4,5,1,2,3)