UCLA Team Page
LOS ANGELES - The No. 2 UCLA men's tennis team posted its 20th victory of the season on Saturday afternoon, dispatching of Oregon, 7-0 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins (20-1; 6-0 Pac-12) will clinch the Pac-12 regular-season title if they beat No. 4 USC next Friday. That match is scheduled to take place at UCLA beginning at 3:00 p.m.
The Bruins swept doubles play against the Ducks on Saturday, with Dennis Mkrtchian and Clay Thompson clinching the point for UCLA at court No. 3, where they beat Daan Maasland and Alex Rovello, 8-5. That match was proceeded by an 8-2 victory from 50th-ranked Adrien Puget and Karue Sell at court No.2.
Sophomore Dennis Novikov and senior Maxime Tabatruong were the first two to finish their singles matches to give UCLA a 3-0 lead in the match, as both players won 6-1, 6-1 at their respective courts. Novikov, who is ranked No. 32 nationally, downed Robin Cambier at court No. 1, while Tabatruong beat Oregon's Lova Randriamampandry at the No. 6 spot.
Sophomore Marcos Giron, the nation's 18th-ranked singles player, clinched the win for UCLA at the No. 2 spot, where he downed Jeff Mullen, 6-1, 7-6(5).
Other singles winners for UCLA on the day included Puget (court No. 3), Thompson (court No. 4) and Sell (court No. 5).
Prior to its rivalry showdown with USC next Friday, the Bruins will be in action on Monday in Malibu, taking on No. 7 Pepperdine at 3:00 p.m.
#2 UCLA 7, #43 Oregon 0
Apr 13, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #38 Giron/Novikov (UCLA) def. #56 Cambier/Mullen (UO) 8-5
2. #50 Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. Clissold/Daniel Sardu (UO) 8-2
3. Dennis Mkrtchian/Thompson (UCLA) def. Maasland/Rovello (UO) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #32 Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Robin Cambier (UO) 6-1, 6-1
2. #18 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Jeff Mullen (UO) 6-1, 7-6(5)
3. #20 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Daan Maasland (UO) 6-4, 6-3
4. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Alex Rovello (UO) 7-6(3), 6-4
5. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Aaron Clissold (UO) 6-2, 7-6(5)
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Lova Randriamampandry (UO) 6-1, 6-1
Oregon 16-6; 2-4 Pac-12; National ranking #43
UCLA 20-1; 6-0 Pac-12; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,2,3,4,5)