Univ. of Nebraska (Lincoln) Team Page
Ann Arbor, Mich. - The No. 12 Nebraska women's tennis team (18-4, 7-1 Big Ten) were defeated by No. 7 Michigan (16-4, 7-1 Big Ten) by a score of 5-2 to hand them their first conference loss of the season. The Huskers dominated in doubles only to slip in singles and ultimately drop the match to the Wolverines. This match was the third meeting between the two teams in history and Michigan leads the series 3-0.
In doubles, the Huskers got the point with two quick victories. At the No. 1 position, Nebraska's No. 6 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova toppled Michigan's No. 2 Brooke Bolender and Emina Bektas 8-4 before fellow Huskers Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich ousted Michigan's No. 45 Ronit Yurovsky and Sarah Lee 8-4 at the No. 2 spot.
This put them ahead 1-0 in the match and the remaining doubles match did not finish with Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska and Maggy Lehmicke leading 7-3.
The Wolverines quickly made a recovery and went ahead 2-1 following a victory at the No. 4 position by Brooke Bolender over Nebraska's Janine Weinreich 6-2, 6-3 followed by a win from her fellow Wolverine No. 49 Ronit Yurovsky over the Huskers' Patricia Veresova 6-1, 6-4.
The Huskers regained ground and tied the match at 2-2 with victory at No. 1 singles by No. 14 Mary Weatherholt over Michigan's No. 28 Emina Bektas 6-3, 5-7, 6-2. The Wolverines allowed no more points from the Huskers with quick victories in the remaining matches.
Michigan's No. 97 Sarah Lee defeated Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 3 position followed by a victory from the Wolverines' Amy Zhu over the Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke 0-6, 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot to seal the team victory at 4-2. The final match concluded with a win for the Wolverines by Kristen Dodge knocking off Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 at the No. 6 singles.
Nebraska heads to East Lansing to face Michigan State on Sunday, April 14 at noon before heading to Minneapolis, Minn. to face Minnesota on Friday, April 19 at 2 p.m. before finally concluding the season at home against Wisconsin on Sunday, April 21 at 11 a.m.
No. 7 Michigan - 5
No. 12 Nebraska - 2
Ann Arbor, Mich.
1. No. 14 Mary Weatherholt (Neb) def. No. 28 Emina Bektas (U-M), 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
2. No. 49 Ronit Yurovsky (U-M) def. Patricia Veresova (Neb), 6-1, 6-4
3. No. 97 Sarah Lee (U-M) def. Stefanie Weinstein (Neb), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Brooke Bolender (U-M) def. Janine Weinreich (Neb), 6-2, 6-3
5. Amy Zhu (U-M) def. Maggy Lehmicke (Neb), 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Kristen Dodge (U-M) def. Maike Zeppernick (Neb), 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
Order of finish (4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6)
1. No. 6 Mary Weatherhold/Patricia Veresova (Neb) def. No. 2 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (U-M), 8-4
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (Neb) def. No. 45 Ronit Yurovsky/Sarah Lee (U-M), 8-4
3. Mimi Nguyen/Kristen Dodge (U-M) vs. Izabella Zgierska/Maggy Lehmicke (Neb), 3-7 DNF
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)