Boise State University Team Page
FRESNO, Calif. – The No. 46 Boise State men’s tennis team secured a second-place finish in the Mountain West with a 6-1 win over Fresno State, Sunday.
The Broncos (16-9, 3-1 MW) gained a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point, but it was no easy feat. Patton/Sears defeated Nakireddi/Quiroz, 8-1 at No. 2 while Bettles/Sereke went down 7-3 at No. 1 in what appeared to be imminent defeat. The duo would not quit, though, as they battled back to win six-consecutive games and take the match, 9-7.
The lead would be extended from 1-0 to 3-0 quickly as Thomas Tenreiro won when his opponent, Sam MacNeil, retired in the first set and Andy Bettles cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 win against Felipe Fritz. Tenreiro has now won 14-straight matches, the longest streak of any Bronco student-athlete this season while Bettles’ win marked his team-leading 20th of the season.
Bettles has now won 20-or-more matches in each of his three seasons at Boise State.
Filipp Pogostkin clinched the match for the Blue and Orange with a staright-set victory over Nikolas Papic at No. 4. The Bellevue, Wash., native won 6-4, 6-3 to remain undefeated in Mountain West play, an accomplishment shared only with Tenreiro.
Nathan Sereke and Scott Sears each won their matches in three full sets to add to the Boise State lead. Sereke rebounded from losing his second set, 6-2 and came back to beat Reid deLaubenfels 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 on court two. Sears dropped his first set before rallying to win the second and third set at No. 3, winning 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
The Broncos will return home for their season-finale against Nevada, Friday, April 19 at 1 p.m. Before the match, the team will honor seniors Pogostkin, Sears and Freddy Walsh.
No. 46 Boise State 6, Fresno State 1
1. No. 33 Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-1, 6-2
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 3-0, retired
6. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) def. Garrett Patton (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
1. Andrew Bettles/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) 9-7
2. Garrett Patton/Scott Sears (BSU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-1
3. Felipe Fritz/Nikolas Papic (FS) vs. Toby Mitchell/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 7-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,1,4,6,2,3)