Northwestern University Team Page
COLUMBUS, Ohio - No. 16 Northwestern had little trouble trouble with No. 62 Ohio State Sunday, posting a 6-1 win.
Site: Columbus, Ohio (OSU Outdoor Courts)
Score: No. 16 Northwestern 6, No. 62 Ohio State 1
Records: NU (13-8, 7-2 Big Ten), Ohio State (10-11, 3-6 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Friday, April 19 - at Purdue (West Lafayette, Ind.), 3 p.m. CT
The Wildcats needed to rally back to take the doubles point as the Buckeyes got an 8-6 win at No. 3 which was the first match to end. However, the ninth-ranked duo of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton posted an 8-5 win at No. 1, leaving things up to the match at No. 2. Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett continued their stellar play as a pair, winning their seventh-straight match as they defeated Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele 8-6.
NU was able to roll in singles play as it won five of the six matches, including four in straight sets. Mushrefova improved to 9-0 in Big Ten play as she trounced Steele 6-1, 6-2 to put the 'Cats up 2-0 in the match.
Brittany Wowchuk also took care of her opponent in two sets as she defeated Nicole Flower 6-3, 6-4 before 55th-ranked Kate Turvy clinched the match at No. 1 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over 45th-ranked Kelsey Dieters.
Barnett was also triumphant at No. 5 as she took down Grainne O'Neill 7-5, 6-3. Ohio State got its only win of the day at No. 2 as Manashirova defeated Corning, but Belinda Niu wrapped up the day by rallying back for a 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) win over Kara Cecil.
Northwestern is back in action at 3 p.m. Central time Friday as it closes out the road portion of the regular season by traveling to Purdue.
#16 Northwestern 6, #62 Ohio State 1
1. #55 Kate Turvy (NU) def. #45 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. #106 Veronica Corning (NU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 6, 1*, 5, 2, 3
1. #9 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 8-5
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-6
3. Kelsey Becker/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*