Wake Forest University Team Page
WESTON, Mass. - The 26th-ranked Wake Forest men's tennis team earned its first sweep of the ACC season Sunday, cruising past Boston College 7-0 in a match that was played at Regis College in Weston, Mass.
The Demon Deacons improved to 17-6 (6-2 ACC), taking over third place in the conference standings with two matches remaining in the regular season. The Eagles dropped to 5-13 (0-8 ACC), remaining winless in conference play.
Wake Forest started strong in doubles, coasting in all three matches. At the No. 1 position, Danny Kreyman and Adam Lee defeated Philip Nelson and Michael McGinnis 8-4. Jon Ho and Sam Bloom took down Kyle Childree and Matt Wagner 8-5 at No. 2.
Playing together for the first time, Amogh Prabhakar and Anthony Delcore were no match for Billy Grokenberger and Klaus Puestow at No. 3, dispatching the Boston College duo 8-2.
The Demon Deacons, who rested their highest-ranked player No. 62 Prabhakar, won four of the singles matches in straight sets and battled to three-set wins in the two others.
Wake Forest's freshman corps led the way with wins at the bottom three positions. Ho topped Childree 6-0, 6-2 at No. 4, Morgan Mays beat Wagner 6-3, 6-4 at No. 5 and Bloom defeated Alexandre Thirouin 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6.
Playing at No. 3 singles for the first time this season, No. 105 Lee beat Grokenberger 6-4, 6-4. The win was the junior's 33rd of the season, moving him into sole possession of third place in Wake Forest history for singles victories in a season.
At No. 1, David Hopkins fought past Nelson 7-6 (3), 2-6, 1-0 (7), and at No. 2, Kreyman rallied to take down McGinnis 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.
The Demon Deacons will play their final home match of the season against archrival North Carolina on Friday, April 19 at 3 p.m. at the Leighton Courts at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex. Wake Forest's three seniors, Hopkins, Kreyman and Prabhakar, will be honored in Senior Day festivities, and a USTA Campus Kid's Day will be held with activities for children of all ages beginning around 4 p.m.
#26 Wake Forest 7, Boston College 0
1. David Hopkins (WF) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Michael McGinnis (BC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 105 Adam Lee (WF) def. Billy Grokenberger (BC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jon Ho (WF) def. Kyle Childree (BC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Morgan Mays (WF) def. Matt Wagner (BC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Sam Bloom (WF) def. Alexandre Thirouin (BC) 6-2, 6-2
1. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) def. Philip Nelson/Michael McGinnis (BC) 8-4
2. Jon Ho/Sam Bloom (WF) def. Kyle Childree/Matt Wagner (BC) 8-5
3. Amogh Prabhakar/Anthony Delcore (WF) def. Billy Grokenberger/Klaus Puestow (BC) 8-2
Wake Forest 17-6 (6-2 ACC); National ranking #26
Boston College 5-13 (0-8 ACC)