Univ. of Nebraska (Lincoln) Team Page
Lincoln, Neb. - The No. 14 Nebraska women's tennis team (21-4, 10-1 Big Ten) defeated Wisconsin (5-17, 3-8 Big Ten) by a score of 4-0 on Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The victory for the Huskers sealed their first ever Big Ten regular season title for the 2013 season, shared with Michigan who also went 10-1 in conference play. The Huskers dominated doubles play leading to a successful singles showing to steal the win and grab the title. This was the ninth meeting between the two teams and Nebraska now leads the series 5-4.
The Huskers went up early against Wisconsin grabbing the doubles point at 1-0. The point came from a victory at the No. 1 position by Nebraska’s No. 4 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova over Wisconsin's Hannah Berner and Lauren Chypyha 8-1 followed by a win from fellow Huskers Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein over Anastasia Tripolskaya and Katie Hoch 8-3. The No. 3 doubles match did not finish with Nebraska's Maggy Lehmicke and Izabella Zgierska leading Wisconsin's Helen Rabot and Lauren Burich 6-4.
With the lead headed into singles, Nebraska extended the lead to 2-0 at the No. 1 position where No. 11 Mary Weatherholt solidified her Big Ten regular season undefeated record at 11-0 with a win over Wisconsin's Hanna Berner 6-2, 6-0. The Huskers pushed the lead to 3-0 at the No. 2 spot where Patrica Veresova defeated Lauren Chypyha 6-2, 6-2.
Nebraska sealed the victory and their first Big Ten Regular Season Conference Championship title at the No. 4 position with Maggy Lehmicke ousting Wisconsin's Lauren Burich 6-2, 6-0. The remaining matches went unfinished with a final score of 4-0.
Nebraska heads into the Big Ten Championships tournament hosted at the University of Indiana on Thursday, April 25 in Bloomington, Ind. The Huskers will enter the tournament as the second or first seed depending on the Michigan results against Ohio State on Sunday.
No. 14 Nebraska - 4
Wisconsin - 0
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Hannah Berner (UW) 6-2, 6-0.
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Lauren Chypyha (UW) 6-2, 6-2.
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) vs. Anastasia Tripolskaya 6-3, 0-2 DNF.
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Lauren Burich (UW) 6-2, 6-0.
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Katie Hoch (UW) 6-2, 3-1 DNF.
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Helen Rabot (UW) 6-3, 2-3 DNF.
Order of finish (1, 2, 4)
1. No. 4 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Hannah Berner/Lauren Chypyha (UW) 8-1.
2. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Anastasia Tripolskaya/Katie Hoch (UW) 8-3.
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) vs. Helen Rabot/Lauren Burich (UW) 6-4 DNF.
Order of finish (1, 2)