Boise State University Team Page
USAFA, Colo. – Thomas Tenreiro picked up his 16th-consecutive win as the Boise State men’s tennis team defeated Air Force, 4-1 in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Championships, Thursday.
Boise State (18-9, 6-1) got off to a 1-0 lead after winning a tightly contested doubles point. Air Force’s duo of Wilhelm/Taylor defeated Bettles/Sereke on court one but the Broncos would rally and win at the other two spots, 9-8. Patton/Sears won at No. 2 to make them 17-7 this season while Toby Mitchell returned from an injury to win alongside Aidan Reid at No. 3, pushing them to 6-2.
The recipe for success has included a win at the No. 5 singles spot, which has now happened 16-consecutive times as Tenreiro cruised to a 6-3, 6-0 win against Andy Jackson to give the Blue and Orange a 2-0 lead. During his 16-match win streak the Broncos are 14-2.
Andy Bettles was the second to finish singles in a straight-set loss to No. 98 Lance Wilhelm.
The loss would not get the Broncos down as Nathan Sereke and Garrett Patton each finished shortly after to give the team its third and fourth points, respectively. Sereke defeated Steven Young, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 2 while Patton took down Andrew Parks, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 6.
The Broncos will face UNLV in the semifinals, Saturday at 2 p.m. Boise State won the first meeting between the two teams, 5-2
No. 46 Boise State 4, Air Force 1
1. Wilhelm/Taylor (AF) def. Bettles/Sereke, 8-6
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. Grubbs/McCullers, 9-8
3. Mitchell/Reid (BSU) def. Jackson/Young, 9-8
1. No. 98 Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. No. 36 Andy Bettles, 6-3, 6-2
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Steven Young, 6-2, 7-5
3. Scott Sears vs. Grant Taylor, DNF
4. Filipp Pogostkin vs. Alex Grubbs, DNF
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Andy Jackson, 6-3, 6-0
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Andrew Parks, 7-5, 6-4