Univ. of Nebraska (Lincoln) Team Page
Bloomington, Ind. - The second-seeded No. 16 Nebraska women's tennis team (22-4, 10-1 Big Ten) swept the tenth seed Minnesota (10-15, 3-8 Big Ten), 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament on Friday. The Huskers managed a strong doubles showing to earn the point before three quick singles points stole the victory for the scarlet and cream, ending the Golden Gophers season.
The regular season Big Ten champions grabbed wins at No. 1 and 2 doubles to get the go-ahead point to begin the match. Nebraska's No. 82 Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich defeated the Golden Gophers' Doron Muravnik and Alexa Palen 8-3 before No. 3 ranked Huskers Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova toppled Minnesota's Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero 8-2 at the No. 1 spot to seal the doubles point for NU.
The Big Red secured three quick singles victories to capture the victory at 4-0 and head to the semifinals. Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein dropped Minnesota's Paula Rincon Otero 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 3 position followed by fellow Husker Maggy Lehmicke dominated the Gophers' Jessika Mozia 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 4 spot. The decisive match came at the No. 2 spot where NU's Patricia Veresova only dropped one game to see her way past Minnesota's Tereza Brichacova 6-1, 6-0.
Nebraska moves on to the semifinals to face the fourth-seeded Northwestern Wildcats. The match begins Saturday, April 27 at 1 p.m. and determines who will move on to the championship match to face the winner of the Michigan versus Purdue match, which will be played Saturday morning before Nebraska and Northwestern. The final match will be held Sunday, April 28 at noon.
No. 16 Nebraska - 4
Minnesota - 0
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt (NU) vs. Natallia Pintusava (MU) DNF
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Jessika Mozia (MU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) vs. Aria Lambert (MU) 6-2, 2-3, DNF
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) vs. Alexa Palen (MU) 4-5, DNF
Order of finish (3, 4, 2)
1. No. 3 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Natallia Pintusava/Paula Rincon Otero (MU) 8-2
2. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Doron Muravnik/Alexa Palen (MU) 8-3
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MU) 3-7, DNF
Order of finish (2, 1)