Trojans take care of Sacramento State, 4-0; Will play San Diego in second r...
Univ. of Southern California Team Page
No. 4 USC, the four-time defending national champion, won its 25th consecutive NCAA match with a 4-0 win over visiting Sacramento State in the 2013 NCAA Men's Tennis Championships first round on Friday (May 10) at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC improved to 24-4 this year while Sacramento State finished its season at 17-13. The Trojans also downed the Hornets, 4-0, in the 2011 NCAA opener.
The Trojans earned the doubles points thanks to an 8-3 win on court 3 by Michael Grant and Roberto Quiroz while Max de Vroome and Eric Johnson won 8-4 on court 2. USC's Yannick Hanfmann and Ray Sarmiento were ahead 7-3 on court 1 when play was suspended.
De Vroome extended USC's lead to 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles over Sacramento State's Niranjan Ram.
Sophomore Jonny Wang followed with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Tom Miller at No. 6 and then Quiroz closed out the match with a 7-5, 6-0 win over Roy Brandys at No. 3.
USC will host fellow first-round winner San Diego on Saturday at 3 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Toreros upset Alabama, 4-3, on Friday to advance to the second round.
 USC 4, Sacramento State 0
Marks Tennis Stadium - May 10, 2013
(1) Hanfmann-Sarmiento (USC) vs. Malko-Marksoo (SAC) -- 7-3, susp.
(2) de Vroome-Johnson (USC) def. Kolar, Brandys (SAC) -- 8-4
(3) Grant-Quiroz (USC) def. Miller-Raag (SAC) -- 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2,3
(1) #16 Ray Sarmiento (USC) vs. Mark Marksoo (SAC) - 7-6 (5), susp.
(2) #45 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) vs. Aliaksandr Malko (SAC) - 6-2, 5-4, susp.
(3) #36 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Roy Brandys (SAC) - 7-5, 6-0
(4) #90 Eric Johnson (USC) vs. Sean Kolar (SAC) - 6-4, 2-1, susp.
(5) Max de Vroome (USC) def. Niranjan Ram (SAC) - 6-1, 6-1
(6) Jonny Wang (USC) def. Tom Miller (SAC) - 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 5,6,3