Trojans win 26th consecutive NCAA match, 4-1, over Toreros.
Univ. of Southern California Team Page
No. 4 USC, the four-time defending national champion, won its 26th consecutive NCAA match with a 4-1 win over San Diego in a 2013 NCAA Men's Tennis Championships second round match on Saturday (May 11) at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC improved to 25-4 this year while San Diego, which defeated Alabama 4-3 in a grueling first-round match on Friday, finished the season at 18-10.
Troy's Emilio Gomez and Michael Grant won USC's first doubles match at Court 3, 8-2 and was followed by a No. 1 doubles win by Yannick Hanfmann and Ray Sarmiento, who won 8-4.
Trojan Roberto Quiroz extended USC's lead to 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Torero Romain Kalaydjian at No. 3 singles and Eric Johnson made it 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Uros Petronijevic at No. 4 singles.
San Diego's Clarke Spinosa shook off a bagel in the first set to down Sarmiento, 0-6, 6-1, 6-1 to get the Toreros on the board.
With the match tightening, Trojan freshman Max de Vroome turned around a second-set 2-3 deficit to defeat Victor Pugliese at No. 5, 6-3, 6-3 to clinch the win.
USC will play the NCAA Round of 16 at the University of Illinois in Urbana, Ill., May 16-21.
 USC 4, San Diego 1
Marks Tennis Stadium - May 11, 2013
(1) #37 Hanfmann-Sarmiento (USC) def. Spinosa-Visy (USD) - 8-4
(2) de Vroome-Johnson (USC) vs. Fitzgerald-Petronijevic (USD) - 7-5, susp.
(3) Gomez-Grant (USC) def. Kalaydjian-Pugliese (USD) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3,1
(1) #7 Emilio Gomez (USC) vs. Thibaut Visy (USD) - 6-4, 5-6, susp.
(2) Clarke Spinosa (USD) def. #16 Ray Sarmiento (USC) - 0-6, 6-1, 6-1
(3) #36 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) - 6-1, 6-2
(4) #90 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Uros Petronijevic (USD) - 6-4, 6-1
(5) Max de Vroome (USC) def. Victor Pugliese (USD) - 6-3, 6-3
(6) Jonny Wang (USC) vs. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) - 5-7, 6-2, 1-1, susp.
Order of finish: 3,4,2,5