Trojans win 14th straight match and will face UC Irvine on Sunday at noon i...
Univ. of Southern California Team Page
No. 5 USC defeated Sacramento State, 4-0, and extended its winning streak to 14 matches in the 2013 NCAA Women's Tennis Championships first round on Saturday (May 11) at Marks Tennis Stadium.
USC, making its 22nd consecutive NCAA Championships appearance, improved to 22-2 while Sacramento State finished the season at 13-14.
The Trojans, one of only two teams with two losses in the 64-team NCAA draw, secured a quick 1-0 lead thanks to doubles wins by the duos of Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria (8-0) at No. 1 and Danielle Lao and Valeria Pulido (8-2) at No. 3. USC's No. 2 Zoe Scandalis and Giuliana Olmos were ahead 4-2 when doubles play was halted.
USC's Ellie Yates doubled Troy's lead to 2-0 with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Sacramento State's Andrea Gomez Carus. Olmos made it 3-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over the Hornets' Olivia Boija and Scandalis clinched the win with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Sophie Lohscheidt.
USC, coming off of an NCAA semifinals appearance in 2012, will face fellow first-round winner UC Irvine on Sunday at 12 p.m. The Anteaters outlasted San Jose State earlier today, 4-2, in a four-and-a-half hour match.
USC 4, Sacramento State 0
Marks Tennis Stadium - May 11, 2013
(1) #2 Christian-Santamaria (USC) def. Boija-Delgado (SAC) - 8-0
(2) Olmos-Scandalis (USC) vs. Knoebl-Nguyen (SAC) - 4-2, susp.
(3) Lao-Pulido (USC) def. Gomez Caru-Lohscheidt (SAC) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3,1
(1) #2 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) vs. Rebeca Delgado (SAC) - 6-2, 1-1, susp.
(2) #9 Danielle Lao (USC) vs. Jennifer Nguyen (SAC) - 6-0, 3-3, susp.
(3) #27 Zoe Scandalis (USC) def. Sophie Lohscheidt (SAC) - 6-1, 6-0
(4) Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Olivia Boija (SAC) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) Kaitlyn Christian (USC) vs. Katharina Knoebl (SAC) - 6-3, 0-1, susp.
(6) Ellie Yates (USC) def. Andrea Gomez Carus (SAC) - 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,4,3