UCLA Team Page
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-seeded UCLA women's tennis team cruised in its opening match of the 2013 NCAA Tournament on Saturday, dispatching of Army, 4-0 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins (17-5) move on to Sunday's second round where they will face Oklahoma State (16-8) at Noon. The Cowgirls downed Long Beach State, 4-0 in their first-round match on Sunday morning.
UCLA dominated Saturday's match from the start, winning a pair of doubles matches by 8-0 scores to claim the one point awarded for doubles play. Freshmen Catherine Harrison and Kyle McPhillips clinched the point for UCLA at court No. 3, as they blanked Army's Margaret Iliev and Carolyn Pitman.
Singles play was much of the same, with UCLA winning first sets on all six courts. Harrison and McPhillips were both perfect on the day, as both players won their matches 6-0, 6-0 at court Nos. 5 and 2, respectively. The clinching win for UCLA came at court No. 5, where Courtney Dolehide downed Army's Della Taylor, 6-2, 6-0.
UCLA's Robin Anderson, Pamela Montez and Chanelle Van Nguyen all owned comfortable leads in their matches when play was suspended.
The winner of Sunday's second-round match will advance to the round of 16 of the NCAA Championships, which begin on May 17 in Urbana, Ill.
With the loss, Army ends its season with a 22-7 overall record.
NCAA Women's Tennis -- First Round
#7 UCLA 4, Army 0
May 11, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Anderson/Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Della Taylor/Elle Taylor (ARMY) 5-2, unfinished
2. #38 Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Colton/Paul (ARMY) 8-0
3. Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) def. Margaret Iliev/Pitman (ARMY) 8-0
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #3 Robin Anderson (UCLA) vs. Erin Colton (ARMY) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
2. #20 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Jamila Paul (ARMY) 6-0, 6-0
3. Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. Eva Sung (ARMY) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
4. #119 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Carolyn Pitman (ARMY) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
5. #93 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Gabby Spindler (ARMY) 6-0, 6-0
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Della Taylor (ARMY) 6-2, 6-0
UCLA 17-5; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,2,6)
UCLA advances to the NCAA 2nd Rd. and will face Oklahoma State on Sunday at Noon