North Carolina State Team Page
RALEIGH, N.C. – The NC State women’s tennis team put up a fight on its home court against the 13th-ranked Clemson Tigers, but were edged, 6-1, Saturday afternoon at the Curtis & Jacqueline Dail Tennis Stadium.
The Clemson Tigers (13-6, 8-2 ACC) jumped out to an early lead in the overall match after winning the first two doubles matches to claim the doubles point. Clemson’s Yana Koroleva and Beatrice Gumulya teamed up to defeat Joelle Kissell and Tatiana Illova, 8-5, at the top spot in the lineup. At No. 3 doubles, State’s Sophie Nelson and Chloe Smithlost to Liz Jeukeng and Ani Miao, 8-1.
The Wolfpack (13-7, 4-6 ACC) claimed a win in the final match of doubles play as sophomores Elisha Hande and Nicole Martinez topped Romy Koelzer and Tristen Dewar, 8-5.
In singles play, Clemson advanced its lead to 3-0 with victories at the one and six spots in the lineup. In the No. 1 spot, 18th-ranked Koroleva defeated 46th-ranked Kissell, 6-4, 6-0, while Dewar outlasted Martinez at the six spot, 6-3, 6-2.
Illova collected the Pack’s only win of the day in singles play with a huge upset victory over Jeukeng, ranked 27th in the nation. The Wolfpack senior found herself in a seesaw battle in the first set, but emerged victorious, 6-4, before taking command in the second set to win, 6-2.
The final three matches at the three, four and five spots in the singles lineup were decided in three sets. Wolfpack freshman Rachael James-Baker dropped the first set of her match to Ani Miao, 6-3, but roared back to win the second set, 6-4. In the third and final set, Miao prevailed, 6-3. State’s Hande won the first set of her match against Koelzer, 6-4, but Koelzer stormed back to win the second and third sets, 6-3. Smith came up short in the final match of the day to 35th-ranked Gumulya, 6 (1)-7, 6-4, 6-4.
NC State will return to action Sunday, April 21 when it hosts Georgia Tech at 1 p.m., for Senior Day at the Dail Outdoor Tennis Stadium.
Tennis Match Results
#13 Clemson 6, #44 NC State 1
1. #18 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. #46 Joelle Kissell (NCSU) 6-4, 6-0
2. #115 Tatiana Illova (NCSU) def. #27 Liz Jeukeng (CU) 6-4, 6-2
3. #35 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Chloe Smith (NCSU) 6 (1) –7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Ani Miao (CU) def. Rachael James-Baker (NCSU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
5. Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Elisha Hande (NCSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Nicole Martinez (NCSU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Yana Koroleva/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Joelle Kissell/Tatiana
Illova (NCSU) 8-5
2. Elisha Hande/Nicole Martinez (NCSU) def. Romy Koelzer/Tristen Dewar (CU) 8-5
3. Liz Jeukeng/Ani Miao (CU) def. Sophie Nelson/Chloe Smith (NCSU) 8-1
NC State 13-7; National ranking #44
Clemson 13-6; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,2,5,4,3)