COLUMBUS, OH - Niall Angus tallied the lone point for the Texas A&M men's tennis team as the second-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes beat the No. 17 Aggies, 6-1, in a dual match played in Columbus.
"We had a tough match tonight against a very good Ohio State team," Aggie head coach Steve Denton said. "They were just better than us on this day. Give them a lot of credit. They are a blue collar, work ethic team."
Angus, a junior from London, has won several matches of late.
"I was impressed with Niall (Angus) as he continues to build confidence in his game with his recent success," Denton explained. "We look forward to another quality team in Illinois on Sunday as we continue to get better as a team."
The win improves Ohio State's record to 16-1 on the year while the Aggies fall to 9-6. Texas A&M will face Illinois in Champaign, Illinois, on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M vs Ohio State
March 9, 2012 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#2 Ohio State 6, #17 Texas A&M 1
1. #24 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. #30 Alexis Klegou (TEXASAM) 6-1, 6-3
2. #6 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Colin Hoover (TEXASAM) 6-4, 6-1
3. #58 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Junior Ore (TEXASAM) 6-3, 6-4
4. #105 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Jeremy Efferding (TEXASAM) 6-4, 6-4
5. #44 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. John Lewis (TEXASAM) 6-3, 6-2
6. Niall Angus (TEXASAM) def. #114 Connor Smith (OSU) 3-6, 7-6, 10-3
1. #1 Blaz Rola/Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. #25 Junior Ore/Jackson Withrow (TEXASAM) 8-3
2. #28 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Colin Hoover/Alexis Klegou (TEXASAM) 8-4
3. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. John Lewis/Niall Angus (TEXASAM) 8-6
Texas A&M 9-6; National ranking #17
Ohio State 16-1; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,1,4,2,6)
Official: Vince Solomon T-3:15 A-306