Red Raider tennis falls to the Sooners, 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship
LUBBOCK, Texas – No. 25 Oklahoma was too much for No. 21 Texas Tech as the Red Raiders fell to the Sooners, 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship at the Baylor Tennis Center in Waco Friday morning.
For the second-straight match, fourth-seeded Tech (16-9) was without Rafael Garica, who plays No. 3 singles and No. 1 doubles, due to an injury he sustained during the match against Oklahoma (15-6) on April 17. Garcia was the clinching match in the 4-3 win over the Sooners earlier this month.
No. 5 seed OU got its first point by winning two of three doubles matches. Tech’s No. 46 Gonzalo Escobar and Vitor Manzini started off the match with an easy win over No. 70 Ionut Beleleu and Tsvetan Mihov, 8-2, at No. 1. The Sooners then won at No. 2 as No. 73 Costin Paval and Peerakit Siributwong downed Raony Carvalho and David Gonzalez, 8-6. The last match remaining was tied at 8-8 and headed to a tiebreaker. OU’s Lawrence Formentera and Laurentiu Gavrila were victorious in the tiebreaker, 10-8, over Jeff Bryan and Raphael Pfister to win the match, 9-8.
In singles action, Tech was only able to win one opening set as No. 23 Carvalho won his first set 6-3, over No. 30 Beleleu. Carvalho’s match went unfinished as the Sooners were victorious in straight sets at No. 2, 3 and 4, respectively, to beat the Red Raiders.
No. 24 Escobar fell to No. 48 Paval, 6-3, 6-0, at No.2, while Manzini lost to Gavrila, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 3. OU clinched the match with a win at No. 4 as Siributwong defeated Gabriel Wanderley, 6-3, 6-2.
“Obviously, we had our chances in doubles with three match points to win the point, but Oklahoma came out and played extremely well and they earned the victory.” said head coach Tim Siegel. “There are no excuses. We were beaten by a better team. I can guarantee you that we will be ready for the NCAA tournament. Hopefully, we will have Rafael Garcia back and we will all be healthy by then.”
The Red Raiders now await their fate in the 2011 NCAA Championship as the selection show will take place on Tues., May 3, at 4:30 p.m. CDT on NCAA.com.
#25 Oklahoma 4, #21 Texas Tech 0
Big 12 Championship - Quarterfinals
Baylor Tennis Center – Waco, Texas
April 29, 2011
Doubles – 1, 2, 3
1. #46 Escobar/Manzini (TTU) def. #70 Beleleu/Mihov (OU), 8-2
2. #73 Paval/Siributwong (OU) def. Carvalho/David Gonzalez (TTU), 8-6
3. Formentera/Gavrila (OU) def. Jeff Bryan/Pfister (TTU), 9-8 (8)
Singles – 2, 3, 4*
1. #23 Raony Carvalho (TTU) vs. #30 Ionut Beleleu (OU), 6-3, 1-1 unfinished
2. #48 Costin Paval (OU) def. #24 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU) def. Victor Manzini (TTU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Gabriel Wanderley (TTU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) vs. Raphael Pfister (TTU), 7-5, 4-1 unfinished
6. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) vs. Ryan Ybarra (TTU), 6-1, 4-2 unfinished