Lady Raiders Unable to Upset Texas
Tech likely ends its season with a 4-0 loss in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championships
NORMAN, Okla. – Playing in its third match in as many days, the Texas Tech women’s tennis team could not mount a rally and upend No. 2-seed Texas as the seventh-seeded Lady Raiders fell, 4-0, Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championships at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
The loss likely ends Tech’s season as the Lady Raiders are unlikely to earn an NCAA Championships bid with a No. 72 national ranking and 10-14 overall record.
Tech appeared to get off to a good start in doubles with the duo of Samantha van der Drift and Kelsy Garland racing out to an 8-6 victory at the top position. The bottom of the lineup would falter, however, as the No. 2 duo of Kerryn Potgeiter and Stefanie Peana gave up a 6-4 advantage to fall 8-6 in the clinching match after Simone Templeton and Natalie Leitch were dropped, 8-5, at the bottom slot.
Texas would continue its dominance in singles, putting the match away early with wins at the No. 6, 5 and 2 positions. The Red Raiders dropped the first set in all six matches and could never recover in time to manage a point before the Longhorns put the match away.
“It was a disappointing day, but I thought we played hard,” Tech head coach Todd Petty said. “Texas is a good team, and they deserve all the credit in the world for coming out and playing well. We kind of let the doubles point get away, and they made us pay for it. Texas was the better team today.”
With the win, Texas advances to face the winner of tonight’s Texas A&M, Oklahoma State match at 3 p.m. Saturday.
Friday’s match was Tech’s fourth of the week as the Lady Raiders face Oklahoma last Sunday, Nebraska on Wednesday, Oklahoma in the first round match Thursday, then UT Friday.
No. 7 Texas Tech – 0
No. 2 Texas – 4
Headington Family Tennis Center – Norman, Okla.
1. Samantha van der Drift (TTU-W) vs. Vanja Corovic (TEXAS-W) 3-6, 4-5, unfinished
2. Krista Damico (TEXAS-W) def. Kelsy Garland (TTU-W) 6-0, 6-4
3. Simone Templeton (TTU-W) vs. Caroline Larsson (TEXAS-W) 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
4. Natalie Leitch (TTU-W) vs. Maggie Melio (TEXAS-W) 7-6, 1-4, unfinished
5. Amanda Craddock (TEXAS-W) def. Stefanie Peana (TTU-W) 6-3, 6-2
6. Sarah Lancaster (TEXAS-W) def. Kyla Coleman (TTU-W) 6-3, 6-1
1. No. 71 van der Drift/Garland (TTU-W) def. No. 39 Corovic/Marija Milic (TEXAS-W) 8-4
2. Damico/Craddock (TEXAS-W) def. Kerryn Potgieter/Peana (TTU-W) 8-6
3. Stephanie Davison/Larsson (TEXAS-W) def. Templeton/ Leitch (TTU-W) 8-5
University of Texas 15-6; National ranking: No. 32
Texas Tech University 10-14; National ranking: No. 72
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,2)
Big 12 Championships Quarterfinals
No. 7 seed - Texas Tech
No. 2 seed - Texas