LOS ANGELES - The No. 3 UCLA men's tennis team cruised to victory on Friday afternoon, notching a 7-0 victory over conference rival Stanford at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins remain undefeated on the season at 6-0, while the Cardinal see their record fall to 3-3 overall.
Sophomore Dennis Novikov posted the most routine victory of the afternoon, posting a 6-4, 6-2 decision over Matt Kandath at court No. 2. It marked the only match of the day that didn't involve a tiebreaker or a third set.
Playing right next door at court No. 1, Marcos Giron was also a straight-set winner, overcoming 39th-ranked John Morrissey, 6-2, 7-6(3). Giron, who is ranked No. 12 nationally in singles, posted his team-leading 17th victory of the season on Friday.
The only other straight-set winner on the day was Clay Thompson at court No. 5, as he downed Trey Strobel, 6-4, 7-6(3).
Adrien Puget (court No. 3), Dennis Mkrtchian (court No. 4) and Karue Sell (court No. 6) were also singles winners for UCLA.
The Bruins began Friday's showdown by winning the doubles point for the sixth time in six matches this year. Because it was the first meeting between the two teams this year, the result will not count in the Pac-12 standings. The conference match between the two teams this year will be on March 30 at Stanford.
UCLA hosts No. 13 Cal on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center beginning at 1:00 p.m.
#3 UCLA 7, #19 Stanford 0
Feb 08, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Giron/Novikov (UCLA) vs. Kandath/Morrissey (STAN) 7-4, unfinished
2. Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. #57 Jamin Ball/Strobel (STAN) 8-5
3. Alex Brigham/Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Romanowicz/Stineman (STAN) 8-3
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #12 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. #39 John Morrissey (STAN) 6-2, 7-6(3)
2. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Matt Kandath (STAN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) 4-6, 6-3, (10-5)
4. #41 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Nolan Paige (STAN) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Trey Strobel (STAN) 6-4, 7-6(3)
6. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Robert Stineman (STAN) 6-3, 5-7, (10-6)
Stanford 3-3; National ranking #19
UCLA 6-0; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,5,1,3,4,6)