LOS ANGELES - The third-ranked UCLA men's tennis team made it a clean sweep over the Bay Area schools on Saturday afternoon, recording a 6-1 victory over No. 13 Cal at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who also beat No. 19 Stanford, 7-0 on Friday, improve to 7-0 on the season. The Bears, who lost to USC, 7-0 on Friday, see their record move to 3-2 overall.
UCLA didn't waste any time moving out to a 1-0 lead in Saturday's match, as the Bruins quickly won two of three doubles matches. After Adrien Puget and Karue Sell posted an 8-2 win at court No. 2, UCLA clinched the doubles point when Alex Brigham and Dennis Mkrtchian were 8-5 winners over Ben McLachlan and Chase Melton at the No. 3 spot.
UCLA's Marcos Giron, Mkrtchian and Sell were all straight-set singles winners for UCLA on the day. Those three players accounted for the first three UCLA points in singles, eventually giving the team an insurmountable 4-0 lead. Sell notched the clinching win when he beat the 92nd-ranked Melton, 6-4, 6-3 at court No. 6.
UCLA's Dennis Novikov and Clay Thompson were also victorious on Saturday, as both players won in three sets. Cal's lone point on the day came at court No. 3, where Campbell Johnson downed Puget, 7-5, 6-1.
Next up for UCLA is a trip to Seattle for the USTA/ITA National Team Indoors, Feb. 15-18.
#3 UCLA 6, #13 Cal 1
Feb 09, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Giron/Novikov (UCLA) vs. Johnson/Konigsfeldt (CAL) 6-6, unfinished
2. Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. Bayane/Engsted (CAL) 8-2
3. Alex Brigham/Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. B. McLachlan/Melton (CAL) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. #66 Ben McLachlan (CAL) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. #12 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. #42 Chris Konigsfeldt (CAL) 6-4, 6-4
3. Campbell Johnson (CAL) def. Adrien Puget (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
4. #41 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. #93 Mads Engsted (CAL) 6-1, 6-2
5. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Gregory Bayane (CAL) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. #92 Chase Melton (CAL) 6-4, 6-3
Cal 3-2; National ranking #13
UCLA 7-0; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,2,6,3,1,5)