No. 2 Bruins Down Hawai'i, 6-1
LOS ANGELES - The second-ranked UCLA men's tennis team took care of business against unranked Hawai'i on Wednesday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, cruising to a 6-1 victory to improve to 12-1 on the season.
Junior Adrien Puget got the nod at the No. 1 singles and doubles positions on Wednesday, picking up a pair of wins. He began the day teaming with freshman Karue Sell in doubles, as they notched an 8-3 win over Jonathan Brooklyn and Chas Okamoto. Puget bested that performance in singles, rolling to a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Brooklyn. Puget is currently listed at No. 20 in the latest ITA Singles Rankings.
Playing right next door to Puget at court No. 2, 10th-ranked Marcos Giron was nearly as impressive, as he lost just three games in a 6-2, 6-1 win over Dmytro Kovalyov.
Other straight-set winners for UCLA on the day were 54th-ranked Dennis Mkrtchian (court No. 3), Clay Thompson (court No. 4) and Karue Sell (court No. 5).
UH's lone win on the afternoon came at court No. 6, where Nils Schuhmann outlasted Maxime Tabatruong, 6-4, 7-6(1). It marked Tabatruong's first action in a dual match this season, as he has been sidelined for much of the year due to injury.
Sophomore Dennis Novikov was not in the singles lineup on Wednesday, as he recently returned from Indian Wells, Calif. where he was competing in the qualifying draw of the BNP Paribas Open.
UCLA rounds out the week in Waco, Texas, where the Bruins will take on Baylor on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. (PST).
#2 UCLA 6, Hawaii 1
Mar 06, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Puget/Sell (UCLA) def. Jonathan Brooklyn/Chas Okamoto (UH) 8-3
2. Dennis Novikov/Thompson (UCLA) def. David Schuster/Spiker (UH) 8-3
3. Alex Brigham/Mkrtchian (UCLA) vs. Carter Lam/Schuhmann (UH) 6-4, unfinished
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #20 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) 6-0, 6-0
2. #10 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) 6-2, 6-1
3. #54 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Jared Spiker (UH) 6-3, 6-4
4. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Chas Okamoto (UH) 7-5, 6-1
5. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Danilo Cassanova (UH) 6-3, 6-1
6. Nils Schuhmann (UH) def. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) 6-4, 7-6(1)
UCLA 12-1; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,5,2,3,4,6)