UCLA Posts 4-0 Win over Northwestern
Charlottesville, Va. - The second-seeded UCLA women's tennis team cruised in quarterfinal play at the 2012 ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Saturday, downing No. 12 Northwestern, 4-0 at the Boars Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va. Next up for the Bruins (7-0) is a semifinal meeting with cross-town rival USC on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. (PST). The Women of Troy were 4-1 winners over Tennessee.
The Bruins won the doubles point for the second time in as many days, moving to wins at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions. After Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton notched an 8-2 win at court No. 2, UCLA claimed the point when McCall Jones and Carling Seguso posted an 8-5 win over Kate Turvy and Brittany Wowchuck at the No. 3 spot.
"It is nice to win the doubles point, especially against a team like Northwestern because they have very good singles," said UCLA head coach Stella Sampras Webster. "(Northwestern) lost the doubles point yesterday but came back to win. I thought we played better doubles today and made some adjustments from yesterday. Every match was tough out there tonight, but we competed hard. Northwestern is a great team that is tough to play indoors."
Saturday's featured singles match at court No. 1 featured two players ranked in the top 30 in the current ITA singles rankings. It turned out to be a very one-sided affair, with the eighth-ranked Anderson cruising to a 6-0, 6-0 victory over the 26th-ranked Turvy.
"Robin is really seeing the ball well right now," added Sampras Webster. "I haven't seen her play that well throughout a whole match in a while. She is really building her confidence."
Anderson's win gave the Bruins a 2-0 lead, meaning that UCLA needed just two more points to clinch the match. Straight-set wins by Morton (court No. 4) and Chanelle Van Nguyen (court No. 6) were all that the Bruins needed, as UCLA moved into the semifinals with a 4-0 victory.
Sunday's other semifinal features top-seeded Duke taking on No. 5 Cal.
#4 UCLA 4, #12 Northwestern 0
Feb 11, 2012 at Charlottesville, VA (Boars Head Sports Club)
1. #23 Courtney Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) vs. Abu Mushrefova/Corning (NU) 7-7, unfinished
2. #12 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) def. Hamilton/Nui (NU) 8-2
3. Jones/Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Turvy/Wowchuk (NU) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #8 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #26 Kate Turvy (NU) 6-0, 6-0
2. #62 McCall Jones (UCLA) vs. #86 Brittany Wowchuk (NU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
3. #70 Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. Belinda Nui (NU) 4-6, 2-5, unfinished
4. Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Veronica Corning (NU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) vs. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 6-7(5), 1-1, unfinished
6. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Nida Hamilton (NU) 6-4, 6-0
Northwestern 5-2; National ranking #12
UCLA 7-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,4,6)