No. 3 Bruins Down No. 8 Bears, 4-0 in Waco
Waco, Texas - Playing yet another top 20 opponent, the third-ranked UCLA women's tennis team continued its winning streak on Sunday, downing No. 8 Baylor, 4-0 at the Hurd Tennis Center in Waco, Texas. The Bruins, who have now beaten top 20 teams in each of their last five matches, improve their record to 10-0 on the season. UCLA's 10-0 record also equals the program's best start since the 1998 team also began the season undefeated through its first 10 matches. With the loss on Sunday, Baylor falls to 10-3 overall.
Despite suffering an upset at the No. 1 doubles position, UCLA still managed to claim Sunday's doubles point with victories at court Nos. 2 and 3. McCall Jones and Carling Seguso had little trouble with Baylor's Ema Burgic and Sona Novakova at court No. 3, winning 8-1. The Bears, however, then notched a huge upset at the top court, where unranked Megan Horter and Nina Secerbegovic registered an 8-5 win over 12th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton. Fortunately for UCLA, Pamela Montez and Chanelle Van Nguyen came through at court No. 2, downing Nicole Kosakowski and Diana Nakic, 8-4.
Freshman Kaitlin Ray, who was not in the doubles lineup, was the first to finish her singles match on Sunday, giving the Bruins a 2-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Horter at court No. 6. UCLA would take a 3-0 lead shortly thereafter when Van Nguyen improved to 10-0 on the season with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Kosakowski at court No. 6.
UCLA was able to clinch the win in the featured match of the day at court No. 1, where the Bruins' sixth-ranked Anderson was facing No. 17 Nakic. Although the two players reside in the top 20 of the current ITA singles rankings, Anderson proved to be the much stronger player on Sunday, dropping just four games in a 6-2, 6-2 victory to give UCLA the 4-0 win.
UCLA returns to the Los Angeles Tennis Center next week, facing No. 5 Cal on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
#3 UCLA 4, #8 Baylor 0
Feb 19, 2012 at Waco, TX (Hurd Tennis Center)
1. Horter/Secerbegovic (BAY) def. #12 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) 8-5
2. Pamela Montez/Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Kosakowski/Nakic (BAY) 8-4
3. Jones/Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Burgic/Novakova (BAY) 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #17 Diana Nakic (BAY) 6-2, 6-2
2. #28 Nina Secerbegovic (BAY) vs. #90 McCall Jones (UCLA) 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
3. #43 Sona Novakova (BAY) vs. #98 Pamela Montez (UCLA) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
4. #113 Ema Burgic (BAY) vs. #121 Skylar Morton (UCLA) 3-6, 3-0, unfinished
5. #61 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Megan Horter (BAY) 6-1, 6-2
6. #102 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Nicole Kosakowski (BAY) 6-1, 6-2
UCLA 10-0; National ranking #3
Baylor 11-3; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1)