No. 1 Bruins Pound Waves, 7-0
LOS ANGELES - In its last match before a 10-day layoff for final exams and spring break, the top-ranked UCLA women's tennis team took care of business as usual at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Monday afternoon, quickly dispatching of local rival Pepperdine, 7-0. With the win, UCLA moves to 14-0 on the season, while the waves see their record drop to 5-6 overall.
Doubles play was close but the Bruins still managed to claim the point for the 13th time in 14 matches this season. An 8-4 UCLA win by McCall Jones and Pamela Montez at court No. 3 was soon followed by an 8-4 Pepperdine victory at court No. 1, where 57th-ranked Lorraine Guillermo and Khunpak Issara upset 14th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skyar Morton. Fortunately for UCLA, Carling Seguso and Chanelle Van Nguyen were firmly in control at court No. 2, registering an 8-3 win over Arianna Colffer and Ali Walters to secure the doubles point for the Bruins.
UCLA cruised in singles play on Monday, taking five of six matches in straight sets. Jones, who is ranked No. 104 in the latest ITA singles rankings, turned in perhaps her best singles performance of the season, notching a 6-1, 6-0 victory over 95th-ranked Ale Granillo at court No. 2. Her victory, which put UCLA ahead 2-0, was soon followed by wins from Anderson and Ray to give the Bruins an insurmountable 4-0 lead.
Montez and Van Nguyen also posted straight-set victories for UCLA. The only match to go beyond two sets came at court No. 4, where Morton lost the first set to Colffer before battling back to take a 4-6, 6-0, (10-7) victory.
Monday marked the final non-conference match of the regular season for the Bruins, who continue Pac-12 play at Colorado on March 23.
#1 UCLA 7, #31 Pepperdine 0
Mar 12, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #57 Guillermo/Issara (PEP) def. #14 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) 8-4
2. Carling Seguso/Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Colffer/Walters (PEP) 8-3
3. Jones/Montez (UCLA) def. Granillo/Moore (PEP) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #5 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Khunpak Issara (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
2. #104 McCall Jones (UCLA) def. #95 Ale Granillo (PEP) 6-1, 6-0
3. #74 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-2, 6-4
4. #107 Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Arianna Colffer (PEP) 4-6, 6-0, (10-7)
5. #94 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Ali Walters (PEP) 6-3, 6-3
6. #80 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-1, 6-2
Pepperdine 5-6; National ranking #31
UCLA 14-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,6,3,4,5)