No. 1 UCLA Women's Tennis Downs ASU, 4-0
LOS ANGELES - The No. 1-ranked UCLA women's tennis team made quick work of a shorthanded ASU squad in a Pac-12 showdown on Friday afternoon, as the Bruins posted a 4-0 victory at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA moves to 19-0 overall and 6-0 in Pac-12 play. The Sun Devils, who have now dropped three in a row after falling to Stanford and Cal last weekend in the Bay Area, see their record fall to 10-6 overall and 2-4 in conference action.
ASU suffered an early setback in the match when senior Sianna Simmons, who was teaming with partner Leighann Sahagun in doubles at court No. 3, was forced to retire due to injury in just the third game of the match. UCLA's McCall Jones and Carling Seguso were leading 2-0 at the time of Simmons' retirement. With that match going in UCLA's favor, the Bruins needed to win just one of the two remaining contests to pull off the doubles point. UCLA would eventually clinch the point at court No. 1, where 11th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton downed Jacqueline Cako and Hannah James, 8-3.
Simmons' injury also affected the singles lineup, as ASU only had five healthy players available to play. That meant that UCLA got another point right off the bat to take a 2-0 lead, as ASU had to vacate the No. 6 singles position.
Needing just two wins in singles to clinch the victory, UCLA got straight-set wins from Kaitlin Ray at court No. 5 and Morton at court No. 3 to take the match 4-0. Friday's featured singles match at court No. 1 was a battle of top 10 opponents, as No. 6 Anderson was taking on No. 9 Cako. With Anderson leading the match 6-1, 4-2, Cako was in the middle of an injury timeout when play was suspended.
UCLA returns to action tomorrow, hosting No. 28 Arizona at Noon.
#1 UCLA 4, #29 Arizona State 0
Apr 06, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #11 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) def. Cako/James (ASU) 8-3
2. #9 Courtney Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) vs. Brycki/J. Smith (ASU) 4-5, unfinished
3. McCall Jones/Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Sahagun/Sianna Simmons (ASU) 2-0, retired
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) vs. #9 Jacqueline Cako (ASU) 6-1, 4-2, unfinished
2. #87 Pamela Montez (UCLA) vs. Michelle Brycki (ASU) 4-6, 3-5, unfinished
3. #116 Skylar Morton (UCLA) def. Joanna Smith (ASU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Carling Seguso (UCLA) vs. Hannah James (ASU) 7-5, 2-2, unfinished
5. #103 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) 6-2, 6-2
6. UCLA wins by default
Arizona State 10-6; 2-4 Pac-12; National ranking #29
UCLA 19-0; 6-0 Pac-12; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,5,3)