No. 1 Women's Tennis Downs Arizona, 5-2
LOS ANGELES - The top-ranked UCLA women's tennis team won its 20th-straight match on Saturday afternoon, downing No. 28 Arizona, 5-2 in a conference matchup at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA sees its record improve to 20-0 overall and 7-0 in the Pac-12. The Wildcats, who also lost to USC on Friday, fall to 12-8 and 2-5 in league play.
Saturday marked the 19th time in 20 matches that the Bruins have claimed the doubles point. It was also the seventh time that UCLA registered wins at all three courts. After ninth-ranked Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez notched an 8-4 win at court No. 2, the Bruins earned the point at court No. 3, where seniors McCall Jones and Carling Seguso were 8-5 winners over Susan Mc Rann and Kim Stubbe.
Freshman Kaitlin Ray's winning streak continues to grow by the match and Saturday was no different, as she posted her 24th-consecutive victory with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Laura Oldham at court No. 6, giving UCLA a 2-0 advantage. Fellow freshman Robin Anderson, who is ranked No. 6 nationally in singles, then brought the Bruins to within a point of clinching the win when she downed 66th-ranked Lacey Smyth, 6-2, 6-4 at court No. 1.
Montez clinched things for UCLA at court No. 3, notching yet another straight-set victory with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Sarah Landsman.
Although the Wildcats were able to get a pair of wins at court Nos. 5 and 4, the Bruins had already moved out to a 4-0 lead at that point.
With UCLA up 4-2, Jones capped the win for UCLA in the final match of the day at court No. 2, downing 81st-ranked Natasha Marks, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. It was a slight upset for Jones, who is currently listed at No. 105 in the ITA Rankings.
At 20-0, UCLA is off to its best start since 1987 when current volunteer assistant coach Bill Zaima was at the helm of the Bruin program.
UCLA has its most important weekend of the season next week, as the Bruins head up to the Bay Area for crucial Pac-12 matches against No. 9 Cal and No. 6 Stanford.
#1 UCLA 5, #28 Arizona 2
Apr 07, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #11 Anderson/Morton (UCLA) def. #50 Marks/Smyth (ARIZ) 8-4
2. #9 Courtney Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Landsman/Hailey Johnson (ARIZ) 8-4
3. Jones/Seguso (UCLA) def. Mc Rann/Stubbe (ARIZ) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #66 Lacey Smyth (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-4
2. #105 McCall Jones (UCLA) def. #81 Natasha Marks (ARIZ) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. #87 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Sarah Landsman (ARIZ) 7-5, 6-3
4. Kim Stubbe (ARIZ) def. #116 Skylar Morton (UCLA) 7-6, 6-1
5. Susan Mc Rann (ARIZ) def. Carling Seguso (UCLA) 4-6, 7-5, (10-8)
6. #103 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Laura Oldham (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-0
Arizona 12-8; 2-5 Pac-12; National ranking #28
UCLA 12-0; 7-0 Pac-12; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,3,5,4,2)