Malibu, Calif. - The No. 3 UCLA women's tennis team was pushed to the limit on Thursday but still managed to come away victorious in the end, as the Bruins pulled out a 4-3 victory over Pepperdine at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu. With the win, UCLA moves to 9-1 overall on the season while the Waves, who have yet to win a match this year, see their record fall to 0-8.
UCLA's 58th-ranked Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez were instrumental in helping the Bruins clinch the doubles point on Thursday, as their 9-7 victory over Michaela Capannolo and Ale Granillo at court No. 2 proved to be the difference. Prior to that victory, both teams split wins at the other two courts, with UCLA cruising to an 8-1 win at court No. 3, followed by an 8-6 Pepperdine win at court No. 1.
Pepperdine, however, would eventually go ahead 2-1 following straight-set victories at court Nos. 2 and 3. Granillo got things started for the Waves when she upset 45th-ranked Kyle McPhillips, 6-2, 6-2 at court No. 3. Minutes later at court No. 2, 57th-ranked Khunpak Issara downed the 68th-ranked Montez, 6-2, 6-1.
UCLA answered right back with two straight-set victories of its own, as Dolehide downed Abigail Phillips, 6-2, 6-2 at court No. 6, and 81st-ranked Chanelle Van Nguyen beat Capannolo, 6-4, 6-2 at court No. 4. Those two victories gave UCLA a 3-2 lead with two matches still on court.
Unranked Lorraine Guillermo picked up the biggest upset of the afternoon at the No. 1 position, as she downed second-ranked Robin Anderson, 6-4, 6-2. It marked just the second loss of the season for Anderson, who headed into Thursday's match with a 20-1 overall singles record.
With the dual match now tied at 3-3, freshman Catherine Harrison came through in the clutch for UCLA at court No. 5, as her 6-1, 7-5 victory over Megan Moore clinched a 4-3 win for the Bruins.
UCLA's next match is against cross-town rival USC on March 8 at UCLA. That match is scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m.
#3 UCLA 4, Pepperdine 3
Feb 28, 2013 at Malibu, CA (Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
1. #15 Guillermo/Issara (PEP) def. Anderson/Van Nguyen (UCLA) 8-6
2. #58 Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Capannolo/Granillo (PEP) 9-7
3. Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) def. Moore/Tara Panu (PEP) 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. #2 Robin Anderson (UCLA) 6-4, 6-2
2. #57 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. #68 Pamela Montez (UCLA) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. #45 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) 6-2, 6-2
4. #81 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
5. #82 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-1, 7-5
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Abigail Phillips (PEP) 6-2, 6-2
UCLA 9-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,2,6,4,1,5)