LOS ANGELES - The No. 5 UCLA women's tennis team posted its second Pac-12 win in as many days on Saturday, notching a 6-1 victory over visiting Colorado at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who were also 6-1 winners over Utah on Friday, are now 11-2 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-12. The Buffaloes, who fell to USC in their opening match of the weekend, drop to 6-8 and 1-3 in conference action.
UCLA dominated doubles play on Saturday, dropping no more than two games on any court. After freshmen Catherine Harrison and Kyle McPhillips notched an 8-1 win at the No. 3 position, UCLA clinched the point at the No. 2 spot, where 28th-ranked Courtney Dolehide and Pamela Montez downed Winde Janssens and Carla Manzi Tenorio, 8-2. UCLA's 12th-ranked Robin Anderson and Skylar Morton were up 7-2 and within a few points of winning their match at the No. 1 position when doubles play was suspended.
After dropping just one game in her singles match against Utah on Friday, sophomore Chanelle Van Nguyen came out and cruised again on Saturday, downing Erin Sanders, 6-0, 6-1 at court No. 4. McPhillips then quickly made it 3-0 UCLA when she dispatched of Dhany Quevedo, 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 spot.
Playing back at court Nos. 5 and 6, Harrison and Dolehide were also routine winners on the day, as Harrison was a 6-1, 6-2 winner over Tenorio, and Dolehide downed Mazy Watrous, 6-1, 6-1.
The two matches that were not dominated by UCLA came at court Nos. 1 and 2, however the Bruins still managed to take a win at one of those courts. Anderson, who was down 0-4 in the first set against Julyette Steur before coming back to win 6-4, eventually took the match 6-4, 7-5 at court No. 1. Playing next door at court No. 2, Montez was edged by Janssens, 6-3, 5-7, (10-5).
Next up for UCLA is a road match at Washington State on March 22 in Pullman, Wash. First serve is scheduled for 11:00 a.m.
#5 UCLA 6, Colorado 1
Mar 16, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #12 Anderson/Skylar Morton (UCLA) vs. Sanders/Steur (CU) 7-2, unfinished
2. #28 Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Janssens/Manzi Tenorio (CU) 8-2
3. Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) def. Quevedo/Mattison Sperry (CU) 8-0
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #5 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Julyette Steur (CU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Winde Janssens (CU) def. #86 Pamela Montez (UCLA) 6-3, 5-7, (10-5)
3. #58 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. Dhany Quevedo (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. #95 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Erin Sanders (CU) 6-0, 6-1
5. #85 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Mazy Watrous (CU) 6-1, 6-1
Colorado 6-8; 1-3 Pac-12
UCLA 11-2; 2-0 Pac-12; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,3,6,5,1,2)