LOS ANGELES - The No. 4 UCLA women's tennis team suffered its first Pac-12 loss of the season on Friday afternoon, falling to No. 14 Stanford, 4-3 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the loss, the Bruins see their record fall to 13-3 overall and 4-1 in conference play, while the Cardinal remain undefeated in Pac-12 play at 5-0 and improve to 11-2 overall.
UCLA's Catherine Harrison and Kyle McPhillips were the lone bright spot for the Bruins in doubles on Friday, posting an 8-2 victory over Natalie Dillon and Krista Hardebeck at court No. 3. The problem for UCLA, however, was that Stanford owned sizeable leads at the other two courts. The Cardinal would eventually post an 8-4 win at court No. 1 followed by an 8-4 victory at court No. 2 to take the one point awarded for doubles play.
After dropping the doubles point, UCLA suffered yet another setback in singles action, as Chanelle Van Nguyen was forced to retire early on in her match with Stacey Tan at court No. 4. The Bruin sophomore was injured while leading 5-2 in the first set. As a result, Stanford moved out to a 2-0 lead in the match.
Playing next to Van Nguyen at court No. 5, Harrison followed up her doubles win with another victory in singles, as she dispatched of Ellen Tsay, 6-2, 6-2 to cut Stanford's lead to 2-1.
The Cardinal, however, notched a pair of straight-set victories to claim the match. Kristie Ahn downed Pamela Montez, 6-2, 6-0 at court No. 2 to make it 3-1. Hardebeck then avenged her doubles loss to McPhillips at court No. 3, posting a 7-5, 6-1 win to clinch the match for Stanford.
With the outcome already decided, UCLA was able to pull out wins in the final two matches of the day, with Robin Anderson beating Nicole Gibbs, 6-4, 6-2 at court No. 1, and Courtney Dolehide downing Dillon, 7-6(6), 6-3 at court No. 6. Anderson's straight-set victory at court No. 1 was significant in the fact that Gibbs is the defending NCAA champion in both singles and doubles.
UCLA looks to return to the win column tomorrow, as the Bruins host No. 13 Cal at Noon.
#14 Stanford 4, #4 UCLA 3
Mar 29, 2013 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #14 Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) def. #13 Anderson/Skylar Morton (UCLA) 8-4
2. #80 Tan/Tsay (STAN) def. #43 Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) 8-3
3. Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) def. Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) 8-2
Stanford Wins Doubles Point
1. #3 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #20 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) 6-4, 6-2
2. #30 Kristie Ahn (STAN) def. #110 Pamela Montez (UCLA) 6-2, 6-0
3. #14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) def. #67 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
4. #93 Stacey Tan (STAN) def. #101 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) 2-5, retired
5. #91 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. #51 Ellen Tsay (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
6. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) def. Natalie Dillon (STAN) 7-6(6), 6-3
Stanford 11-2; 5-0 Pac-12; National ranking #14
UCLA 13-3; 4-1 Pac-12; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6)