LINCOLN, Neb. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team bounced back from a 3-1 deficit Saturday against Georgia Tech, winning the final three singles matches to stun the Yellow Jackets 4-3 on day one of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kick Off Weekend inside the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Senior Chrissie McGaffigan defeated Megan Kurey at No. 4 singles to kick-start the rally for the No. 18 Irish (3-0). McGaffigan downed Kurey in straight sets 7-6 (9-7), 6-4 to narrow the gap to 3-2 in favor of the No. 22 Yellow Jackets (1-1).
Sophomore Molly O'Koniewski continued her unbeaten spring singles slate, scoring a 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 win over Jasmine Minor at the No. 6 singles court. O’Koniewski’s third victory of the season squared the match at 3-3.
Junior Jennifer Kellner completed the comeback at the No. 2 singles court against Georgia Tech’s Kendal Woodard. After falling behind 6-4 in the first set, Kellner broke Woodard 7-6 (7-4) in set two. Kellner clinched the match and team victory after outlasting Woodard in another tiebreaker in the deciding set to win 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5).
Freshman Quinn Gleason registered the first Notre Dame point of the day at the No. 3 court, defeating Alex Anghelescu in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.
Junior Julie Sabacinski battled valiantly in both sets against Natasha Prokhnevska, ultimately falling to the Yellow Jacket product 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 court. Fellow junior Britney Sanders, ranked No. 58 by the ITA, nearly forced a third set at No. 1 singles against No. 39 Elizabeth Kilborn. Kilborn held on for a 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) win.
The Irish will face either No. 17 Nebraska or No. 23 Tennessee Sunday at 2 p.m. inside the Nebraska Tennis Center in an ITA Kick Off Weekend Championship match. The event champion earns a berth to the ITA Division I National Women's Team Indoor Championship Feb. 8-11 in Charlottesville, Va.
ITA Kick Off Weekend
No. 18 Notre Dame vs. No. 22 Georgia Tech
Nebraska Tennis Center
1. #39 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. #58 Britney Sanders (ND) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
3. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Alex Anghelescu (GT) 6-4, 6-3
4. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Megan Kurey (GT) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
5. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Julie Sabacinski (ND) 7-5, 6-4
6. Molly O'Koniewski (ND) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
1. Kellner/McGaffigan (ND) def. Kilborn/Anghelescu (GT) 8-3
2. Kurey/Woodard (GT) def. Sanders/Gleason (ND) 8-6
3. Muriel Wacker/Prokhnevska (GT) def. Sabacinski/O'Koniewski (ND) 8-3
Notre Dame 3-0; National ranking #18
Georgia Tech 1-1; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,5,4,6,2)