No. 19 Irish Sweep UAB 7-0
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The University of Notre Dame women's tennis team earned its third shutout victory of the season with a 7-0 win Thursday over UAB at George Ward Park.
The No. 19 Irish (10-5) swept all three decisions in doubles to win the opening point of the contest. The freshmen tandem of Quinn Gleason and Julie Vrabel downed Caroline Faught and Amy Lowther 8-3 at the No. 3 doubles court to open the scoring. Jennifer Kellner and Chrissie McGaffigan, the No. 60 ranked duo in the country, clinched the doubles point at the first court with an 8-6 win over UAB's (8-6) Menanteau Moolman and Rachel Daniell.
Gleason continued her successful day with a straight set win at No. 3 singles. Gleason put the Irish up 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-2 sweep of Faught.
Katherine White was the next Notre Dame player to finish her singles tilt, dropping Elaine Simon 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 6 court to extend the Irish lead over the Blazers (3-0). The win was White's second consecutive victory during the team's three-match road trip.
Notre Dame clinched the match at No. 4 singles thanks to a strong performance from McGaffigan. The senior captain improved to 11-3 in 2013 with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph over Lowther.
Britney Sanders, the No. 49 player in the country, prevailed in straight sets over Isabel Fernandez at first singles 6-4, 6-1 to up the Notre Dame cushion to 5-0. The Irish junior snapped a three match losing streak with the victory.
Molly O'Koniewski continued the winning ways at the No. 5 singles court, dropping Moolman in back-to-back sets 6-2, 6-3. Kellner completed the shutout at the second singles position, prevailing over Daniell 7-5, 6-4.
Notre Dame concludes its three-match road swing Saturday at noon against Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Ga.
No. 19 Notre Dame 7, UAB 0
George Ward Park
1. No. 49 Britney Sanders (ND) def. Isabel Fernandez (UAB) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Rachel Daniell (UAB) 7-5, 6-4
3. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Caroline Faught (UAB) 6-0, 6-2
4. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Amy Lowther (UAB) 6-1, 6-2
5. Molly O'Koniewski (ND) def. Menanteau Moolman (UAB) 6-2, 6-3
6. Katherine White (ND) def. Elaine Simon (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
1. No. 60 Kellner/McGaffigan (ND) def. Moolman/Daniell (UAB) 8-6
2. Sanders/White (ND) def. Fernandez/Simon (UAB) 8-7 (4-0)
3. Gleason/Vrabel (ND) def. Faught/Lowther (UAB) 8-3
Notre Dame 10-5; National ranking No. 19
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,6,4,1,5,2)