NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 8 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (5-2) lost to No. 9 Duke (10-1) in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, 4-0, Friday, Feb. 15, in Seattle, Wash.
"Duke played a very good match tonight," OU head coach John Roddick said. "I give them a lot of credit. I'm proud of the way we battled in singles, but we know we still have to keep improving as the year goes on."
Duke won the first team point after Peerakit Siributwong and Leonard Stakhovsky lost their match, 8-6, to Fred Saba and Chris Mengel.
In singles play, Duke's Michael Redlicki beat Dane Webb 6-2, 6-0, and Mengel defeated Axel Alvarez Llamas 6-4, 6-2.
After that, all four matches left went to the third set.
Raphael Hemmeler claimed the win for Duke after he beat Stakhovsky 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Oklahoma faces host-team Washington Saturday, Feb. 16, at 10:30 p.m. in the consolation round.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the men's tennis program.
Duke 4, OU 0
1. Cunha/Hemmeler (Duke) def. Paval/Webb (OU), 8-3
2. Alavarez Llamas/Alcorta (OU) vs. Redlicki/Tahir (Duke), 5-7, dnf
3. Saba/Mengel (Duke) def. Siributwong/Stakhovsky (OU), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Costin Paval (OU) vs. Henrique Cunha (Duke), 5-7, 5-2, dnf
2. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) vs. Fred Saba (Duke), 3-6, 6-4, 4-3, dnf
3. Michael Redlicki (Duke) def. Dane Webb (OU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Chris Mengel (Duke) def. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Raphael Hemmeler (Duke) def. Leonard Stakhovsky (OU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Peerakit Siributwong (OU) vs. Jason Tahir (Duke), 6-3, 2-6, 2-1, dnf
Order of finish: 3, 4, 5