NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 5 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team fell to No. 1 Virginia, 6-1, Sunday, March 3, in Charlottesville, Va.
"Virginia played very well today and showed why they are ranked No.1," OU head coach John Roddick said.
Virginia entered the match after winning the ITA National Team Indoors in Seattle, Wash., Monday, Feb. 18.
The Sooners (9-3) battled closely with the Cavaliers (7-0) in doubles, but ultimately dropped two matches and gave the Cavaliers the first team point.
"We had chances in the doubles that we let get away," Roddick said.
Virginia's ITA No. 37 Justin Shane and Julen Uriguen beat Lawrence Formentera and Peerakit Siributwong, 8-4, at the No. 3 position. No. 42 Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas battled with No. 45 Mitchell Frank and Alex Domijan at the No. 2 position, but the Cavalier duo ultimately topped them 8-6.
No. 52 Costin Paval and Dane Webb were up 8-7 over No. 2 Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger at the No. 1 position when Virginia claimed the doubles team point, ending their match.
Virginia capped its win by winning three straight matches in singles, at the No. 4, 5 and 6 positions.
"In singles, we played very well in spots, but we need each guy to show up," Roddick said.
Paval and Alcorta battled closely with the No. 2 and No. 1 players, respectively. Paval claimed his first set and Alcorta won his second, but they each eventually lost in their third sets.
Webb claimed OU's only point of the day, beating No. 65 Mitchell Frank 7-6(6), 6-2 in the last match of the day. This point was only the seventh Virginia has given up in the 2013 season.
"Dane [Webb] had a great win against the [No. 2] player in the country from last year," Roddick said. "I was really proud in the way he executed."
OU next travels to Louisvile, Ky., to face No. 42 Louisville in the last road game of the Sooners' one-month road stretch. They return home Tuesday, March 12, against No. 44 Florida State University.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information on the men's tennis program.
No. 1 Virginia 6, No. 5 Oklahoma 1
1. No. 52 Paval/Webb (OU) led No. 2 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa), 8-7 (dnf)
2. No. 45 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. No. 42 Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU), 8-6
3. No. 37 J. Shane/J. Uriguen (UVa) def. Formentera/Siributwong (OU), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. No. 2 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. No. 39 Costin Paval (OU), 2-6, 6-4, 10-2
2. No. 1 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. No. 61 Guillermo Alcorta (OU), 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
3. Dane Webb (OU) def. No. 65 Mitchell Frank (UVa), 7-6(6), 6-2
4. No. 24 Ryan Shane (UVa) def. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU), 6-2, 6-2
5. No. 8 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Peerakit Siributwong (OU), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6*, 2, 1, 3