Sooners Drop Match to Pepperdine
NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 10 University of Oklahoma men's tennis team lost to No. 11 Pepperdine, 4-3, in Malibu, Calif, Saturday, March 23.
"I give Pepperdine all the credit today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "Today was another very tough match that came down to the wire. We competed hard, but we have to find a way to be more consistent."
The Sooners (11-5) started strong after they claimed the doubles point over the Waves (15-4).
Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas snatched the first win of the day after they defeated their opponents 8-2.
After an OU loss on Court 3, the doubles point came down to the match at the No. 1 position. No. 44 Costin Paval and Dane Webb went back-and-forth with Sebastian Fanselow and Finn Tearney, with Paval and Webb topping the Pepperdine duo, 9-8.
Pepperdine tied the match after the first singles match, when Mousheg Hovhannisyan defeated Peerakit Siributwong at the No. 5 position, 6-1, 6-4.
The Waves lengthened their lead to 2-1 after a win on Court 6, but Guillermo Alcorta tied it for the Sooners after a win on Court 2.
Pepperdine captured the lead again after Axel Alvarez Llamas fell to No. 107 Alex Sarkissian 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 on Court 3. Dane Webb tied it again after he upset No. 53 Francis Alcantara 1-6, 7-6, 6-1.
The tied match came down to a three-set battle between No. 17 Paval and No. 11 Fanselow at the No. 1 position. Fanselow claimed the first set, but Paval forced a third set. Fanselow ultimately claimed the match against Paval and the match for Pepperdine, beating Paval 7-5, 3-6, 6-3.
The Sooners return home Thursday, March 28, to face No. 38 San Diego at 5:30 p.m.
Follow @OU_Tennis on Twitter and like Oklahoma Men's Tennis on Facebook for more information about the men's tennis program.
Pepperdine 4, Oklahoma 3
1. No. 44 Paval/Webb (OU) def. Fanselow/Tearney (PEP), 9-8
2. No. 56 Alcorta/Alvarez Llamas (OU) def. Alcantara/Sarkissian (PEP), 8-2
3. Hovhannisyan/Sofaer (PEP) def. Formentera/Stakhovsky (OU), 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 11 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. No. 17 Costin Paval (OU), 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
2. No. 44 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. No. 83 Finn Tearney (PEP), 6-4, 6-1
3. No. 107 Alex Sarkissian (PEP) def. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OU), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. No. 92 Dane Webb (OU) def. No. 53 Francis Alcantara (PEP), 1-6, 7-6, 6-1
5. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Peerakit Siributwong (OU), 6-1, 6-4
6. David Sofaer (PEP) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 6, 2, 3, 4, 1*