LOS ANGELES - The No. 2-ranked USC men's tennis team defeated their highest-ranked opponent of the season, taking down No. 13 California in a non-Pac-12 match at Marks Stadium on Friday afternoon. The Trojans swept the Golden Bears, 7-0, taking the doubles before winning all six singles matches, with Roberto Quirozclinching the victory as USC improved to 8-0 on the season.
The Trojans took the doubles point, after the Golden Bears No. 1 duo of Riki McLachlan/Ben McLachlan was forced to retire due to injury and Eric Johnson/Emilio Gomez defeated Christoffer Konigsfeldt/Gregory Bayane at No. 3, 8-2.
In singles, #84 Yannick Hanfmann defeated Gregory Bayane, 6-3, 6-1, on court four to put the Trojans up 2-0. On court five, #61 Eric Johnsonwas up next for USC, defeating #93 Mads Engsted, 6-3, 6-3. Quiroz was next, clinching the win for the Trojans, 6-3, 6-1 from the No. 3 position to defeat Campbell Johnson.
Freshman Max de Vroome held off a surging Chase Melton on No. 6, who came back in the second set, but de Vroome earned the victory, 6-1, 7-5. On court one, #10 Ray Sarmiento was tested in three sets by #66 Ben McLachlan, taking the first set 6-3, but falling 3-6 in the second set, before setting up the third set, 6-3. #27 Emilio Gomez finished things out for the Trojans with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) tiebreak victory over #42 Christoffer Konigsfeldt at No.2 .
The Trojans will rebound with another non-conference duel against No. 19 Stanford on Saturday, hosting No. 19-ranked Stanford at Marks Tennis Stadium.
No. 2 USC 7, No. 13 California 0
Marks Tennis Stadium
February 8, 2013
1) Sarmiento/Hanfmann (USC) vs. R. McLachlan/B. McLachlan (CAL) - 2-2 (40-30)- Retired, injury Cal
2) Quiroz/De Vroome (USC) vs. Johnson/Engsted (CAL) - 5-5 (15-40) Abandoned
3) Johnson/Gomez (USC) def. Konigsfeldt/Bayane (CAL) - 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1) Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Ben McLachlan (CAL), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2) Emilio Gomez (USC) def. Christoffer Konigsfeldt (CAL), 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3) Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Campbell Johnson (CAL), 6-3, 6-1
4) Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Gregory Bayane (CAL), 6-3, 6-1
5) Eric Johnson (USC) def. Mads Engsted (CAL), 6-3, 6-3
6) Max de Vroome(USC) def. Chase Melton (CAL), 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4,5,3,6,1,2