OJAI, CALIF. -- The No. 5 USC men's tennis team is back in action and battling for the Pac-12 championship after a 4-1 semifinal win over California today in Ojai, Calif. The Trojans go in defense of another conference title against rival UCLA once again, fighting for the Pac-12 crown tomorrow (April 27) at 4 p.m. at Libbey Park.
The Bears snagged the doubles point today in the Pac-12 semifinals, but USC regrouped and rallied back to victory with a strong stand in singles. USC's Yannick Hanfmann blasted a 6-2, 6-4 win at the No. 2 singles spot to light the fuse for the Trojans. Fellow sophomore Eric Johnson followed suit with a 6-4, 6-4 win from court four next, and USC was back on top, up 2-1 on the scoreboard. At the No. 5 singles position, Jonny Wang rallied with a comeback push to win in three on a 2-6, 6-0, 6-2 win to put the Trojans up 3-1. Coming through with the clincher was USC's Roberto Quiroz, who followed up a tiebreaker win in the first set with a strong second set to win it and clinch it 7-6, 6-2 and launch the Trojans into tomorrow's title match against rival UCLA.
Pac-12 Tournament Draw/Results
USC 4, California 1
April 26, 2013 - Ojai, Calif.
(1) Johnson/Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. #40 Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) - 9-8
(2) #44 Gomez/Quiroz (USC) vs. Engstead/McLachlan (CAL) - Abandoned
(3) Bayane/Melton (CAL) def. de Vroome/Johnson (USC) - 8-6
Cal wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1
(1) #17 Ray Sarmiento (USC) vs. McLachlan (CAL) - Abandoned
(2) #65 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. Konigsfeldt (CAL) - 6-2, 6-4
(3) #34 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. Johnson (CAL) - 7-6, 6-2
(4) #80 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Bayane (CAL) - 6-4, 6-4
(5) #93 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Engsted (CAL) - 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
(6) #94 Michael Grant (USC) vs. Melton (CAL) - Abandoned
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 3