No. 4 USC Blanks Another For Victorious ITA Kick-Off Weekend
LOS ANGELES, CALIF -- The No. 4 USC women's tennis team locked in on a return trip to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships with another solid sweep at Marks Stadium today. Under clear but chilly skies, the Women of Troy pounded out the doubles point in 32 minutes, and added to that tally with three straight-set singles wins for a 4-0 victory over No. 67 UC Irvine. USC improves to 3-0 overall with its two wins at ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
The Women of Troy were up against UC Irvine for the second time in less than two weeks, having shut out the Anteaters in USC's season opener. The lineups had a different look from the first meeting, however, offering up a fresh chance for both teams. But it was USC's power down the line that won the day once again. The Trojans tallied two swift 8-1 wins at the top two doubles positions to tack up the first point of the day just over a half-hour into the dual match. USC's top guns, #1 Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria were all business with their victory over Goettsching/Smith. On court two, a fresh pairing of Danielle Lao and Giuliana Olmos matched that margin of victory with an 8-1 decision over Mamiit/Stadfelt, and that was a wrap to doubles play with USC toting a 1-0 lead.
The singles scene was similarly slanted in the Trojans' favor, with USC taking the first set on all but one court. Valeria Pulido had dropped her first set to Ali Facey, but the Trojan senior quickly regrouped on court six and answered back with a 6-1 win that forced a third set. At the No. 4 spot, junior Kaitlyn Christian pinned up a 6-1, 6-1 win with precision over UCI's Kate Gong to take USC ahead 2-0 in the match. Over at the No. 3 position, meanwhile, Giuliana Olmos was a machine, powering full-steam ahead of Franziska Goetsching with a shutout in the second for a 6-3, 6-0 win that made it 3-0.
That put the ball in the courts of USC's Zoë Scandalis and Danielle Lao, who were both poised for the clincher in the match. #19 sophomore Scandalis had stayed out ahead of Kristina Smith throughout the second set, but up 5-2, her game was going in and out of deuce. #14 senior Lao, meanwhile, had closed a 1-4 gap to UCI's Marivick Mamiit in her second set. Lao worked her way up 5-4 in the set and was also in a long game with match point within reach at the same time as Scandalis. Lao came up with the winner first. Mamiit hit her final shot long, and Lao had the clinching win to wrap up the match as a 4-0 Trojan victory. The remaining singles matches would be suspended, although Scandalis was mere moments away, and Ellie Yates, too, was up 5-2 in her match on court five.
The Women of Troy now set up for two matches next week. USC will first visit Pepperdine for a 1:30 p.m. match in Malibu on Thursday (Jan. 31) before coming back home to host Fresno State at 12 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 2).
ITA Kick-Off Weekend Championship
#4 USC 4, #67 UC Irvine 0
Jan. 27 - Marks Stadium
(1) #1 Christian/Santamaria (USC) def. Goettsching/Smith (UCI) - 8-1
(2) Lao/Olmos (USC) def. Mamiit/Stadfelt (UCI) - 8-1*
(3) Pulido/Yates (USC) vs. K. Facey/Gong (UCI) - 6-2 susp.
USC wins doubles point
Order of finish: 1, 2*
(1) #19 Zoë Scandalis (USC) vs. Kristina Smith (UCI) - 6-3, 5-2 susp.
(2) #14 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) - 6-1, 6-4*
(3) Giuliana Olmos (USC) def. Franziska Goetsching (UCI) - 6-3, 6-0
(4) Kaitlyn Christian (USC) def. Sarah Gong (UCI) - 6-1, 6-1
(5) Ellie Yates (USC) vs. Kat Facey (UCI) - 6-3, 5-2 susp.
(6) Valeria Pulido (USC) vs. Ali Facey (UCI) - 4-6, 6-1, 2-3 susp.
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2*
ITA Kick-Off Weekend Consolation Match
#55 Tulane 4, Akron 1
Jan. 27, 2013 - Los Angeles, Calif. (Marks Stadium)
(1) Vyskocilova/Birol (TUL) vs. Panusart/Jogasuria (Akron) - 4-4 (DNF)
(2) Thornton/Magnusson (TUL) def. Shkundina/Berestetska (Akron) - 8-1 *
(3) Levy/Hois (TUL) def. Duva/Cohen (Akron) - 8-2
Tulane wins doubles point
Order of finish: 3, 2*
(1) Klara Vyskocilova (TUL) vs. Olga Shkundina (Akron) - 6-4, 2-4 susp.
(2) Emma Levy (TUL) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) - 6-2, 6-1
(3) Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Jenny Hois (TUL) - 3-6, 3-6
(4) Ipek Birol (TUL) vs. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) - 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 susp.
(5) Caroline Thornton (TUL) def. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) - 6-3, 6-2*
(6) Caroline Magnusson (TUL) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) - 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 2, 5*